Monday, April 29, 2024

A Week in Ink

Issue No. 25

Action Comics No. 901

Supes taking on Doomsday is a recipe for one of DC's most scrumptious dishes, but when the Man of Steel fights the king of all Doomsdays, now this is a full buffet of inky goodness.

"Action Comics No. 901" manages to raise the stakes on the Doomsday scenario: the alien craft has set it sights on Earth, and without an unexpected change in course, the people on the third rock from the sun don't stand much of a chance.

This heroic race against the clock has Paul Cornell's name all over it, as Superman and his quasi-family take on an unthinkable, clone army of Doomsdays, the series writer has taken the conflict to a galaxy not so far, far away. This Episode II-esc take on Doomsday has its merits, but still feels just a little bit wrong.

Anyone worth their weight in panels remembers the death of Earth's greatest defender at the hands of the alien wrecking crew, so theoretically a clone army should easily take out a few undisciplined kryptonians, but Cornell, the aforementioned author, seems to think differently.

Logic aside, the Action Comics series has been picking up steam over the last few issues, and it's finally becoming something more palatable with time. While this new addition to the Doomsday family should conclude what his predecessor started, there is little doubt the Man of Steel will make sure his symphony of destruction never reaches its final note.

FF No. 4

When FF exploded onto the scene last month, fans, critics and all of the Marvel community stood in awe as a new era for the super-powered team was being ushered in with the web-slinger joining forces with the Fantastic Four. Yet now, three issues later, the world is still waiting for that series defining moment.

Reed Richards has called together a council of the greatest minds in the universe and in doing so, has created the universe's most brilliant think tank. Sadly, after reading "FF No. 4" it also seems to be the most boring. The intellectuals chat about plans of greater victory, but alas, the war room has hit a strategic impasse.

Thankfully, Hickman's exemplary writing has a way of creating a great balancing act by having Spider-Man and the Invisible Woman storm the beaches of intergalactic conflict. This juxtaposition between the calm and the brutal battle, creates an ebb and flow full of mystery and excitement only three panels apart.

Barry Kitson's work on the issue's art is absolutely fantastic, managing to capture both scenes of peace and war in superior detail. While this issue doesn't put the future in FF, it manages to create a few waves in the cosmic pool.

The team is making slow, steady progress on a piece that shouldn't be rushed. Their thoughts are appreciated and will - hopefully sooner rather than later - pay off for those diligent readers.

Kill Shakespeare No. 11

With one issue left before curtain, the Kill Shakespeare series has managed to breathe life into a cast of characters as old as literature itself.

For those unacquainted with Conor McCreery and Anthony Del Col's fantastic premise for the densest novels on the planet, the plot is simple: Romeo and Juliet survived, King Richard has an unquenchable thirst for power, and the only one who can bring peace to the world is Hamlet, who by finding old Willy himself, can correct the course of history.

As everyone who's taken a Lit. class has found, except perhaps the stalwart English majors, Shakespeare's work can, at times, be rather unappealing. This hyper-violent, grandiose adventure marks a decidedly different take on the works of yore.

Head artist Andy Belanger deserves an immense amount of credit, for managing to bring the whole production together. Scenes of battle are beautifully illustrated in shades of blood red and bright flames ravage the country landscape.

Conversely, Belanger draws the 400-year-old playwright in the most playful of ways, making sprites dance around his head and the aura around him shades of royal blues and gold.

McCreery and Del Col's fantastical take on Shakespearian literature has shocked and amazed the comic community. While the series has not yet reached its thrilling conclusion, one may assume they have saved the best for last.