Getting 'High'ered

Justin Lindh, a UB alumnus, is selling pot, legally.

Lindh, who graduated in 2010 with a bachelor's degree in business, is now the co-owner and operator at Sensible Selections, a medical marijuana dispensary and lounge in San Diego, California.

Lindh did not always picture a career in this industry; however, that changed after visiting a friend in California last year.

"My friend had been in the works to open [a dispensary] but one of his partners backed out so I basically took his place," Lindh said. "Now I am a co-owner and work there almost everyday."

The first stop upon entering Sensible Selections is the waiting room, where customers must fill out legal paperwork and present their medical marijuana cards to become verified.

In California a doctor must determine whether or not one qualifies to receive medical marijuana to treat a health condition. Doctors are able to provide patients with a medical cannabis card, which allows them to purchase legal medicinal marijuana from a dispensary.

The second stop is the lounge, where customers must present their card again. In the lounge, customers are provided freshly popped bags of medicated popcorn and access to a 42-inch screen TV. Previously this room was also used as a vapor lounge, but changes in legislation forced the Sensible Selections team to discontinue that feature.

Finally, customers can enter the "Budroom," where there is a wide variety of strains, edibles, pre-rolls and concentrates. The shop typically contains over 20 strains, about 10 different types of concentrates (the pure form of tetrahydrocannabinol), and a wide array of edibles ranging from simple chocolate cookies to the more unique authentic Baklava.

"Laws surrounding the medical marijuana industry are always changing," Lindh said. "Right now is a big time for us. In the future we will either go on and make lots of money, or we may have to shut down."

In New York State legislation prohibits the sale and use of marijuana. The debate of whether or not to legalize it, and what benefits it may have, is a pressing topic.

"A career in medical marijuana research may be possible, but the scientific interest in it is limited right now," said Richard D. Blondell, MD, director of addictions research at UB. "Research is currently more focused on its impact on public health."

From industrial and commercial hemp applications to medical marijuana, cannabis and its legalization may be able to present the world with "Green Jobs" and "Green Business" opportunities.

"Marijuana is not just a plant but the strongest natural fiber," said Adrien D'Angelo, junior English major and vice president of UB's National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) chapter. "It contains the hemp seed, which is the most nutritionally complete food source in the world, and it can be used as fuel as well as medicine."

NORML strives to educate students and the general population of Buffalo by raising awareness of the positive influence that the legalization of medical marijuana can have in Western New York and across the state.

NORML will be hosting its second annual Medical Marijuana and Hemp Awareness Day on Wednesday. The goal of the event is to promote education, discussion, and social awareness of the reform of marijuana laws in the U.S.

The event will host musical performances by the Mosaic Foundation, The J Bangin' Brew, The Travel Agency, The Grain Elevators, DJ Ozmatic Dub, and The Royal Pitches. WRUB will be providing music between sets.

The event will be held from noon until 9 p.m. at Baird Point. Marijuana use at the event is prohibited.