Venues to avoid and venues to enjoy

From its underground hardcore scene that produced bands like Every Time I Die and It Dies Today, to the city's more mainstream pop and rock clique that gave the world The Goo Goo Dolls, Buffalo has always been a thriving musical hot spot.

As it is with any city that continues to pump out band after band, Buffalo has its fair share of local venues waiting to be filled with anxious fans.

Knowing which venue caters to your musical taste is only half the battle: atmosphere, sound quality and even the attraction of the crowd all play vital roles in determining the best and worst of Buffalo's concert venues.

Mohawk Place

Located in the heart of Buffalo's downtown district, Mohawk Place is among the most intimate venues in Buffalo.

Within the venue's confines lies an atmosphere that, while dark and cramped, is also warm and welcoming. An assortment of musical themed pictures and beer advertisements decorate the narrow building's walls. In fact, the only items more abundant than Pabst Blue Ribbon memorabilia are the band stickers from previous shows that line the walls.

The stage barely stands more than a foot off the floor and, when the band goes on, attendees find themselves in closer quarters than Siamese twins.

Claustrophobics, however, may want to avoid this one.

The venue showcases not only the best local bands Buffalo has to offer, but an astounding list of unknown up-and-comers from across the country. This makes Mohawk Place the best venue in town to get acquainted with some new material and possibly make some friends in the process.

Town Ballroom

For those scouring the Buffalo area for bigger-name acts, the Town Ballroom in the theater district is just what you're looking for. From Paramore to the infamous GWAR, Town Ballroom has hosted some of the biggest names in music today.

The Town Ballroom attracts big names, but also brings in a diverse array of acts. The venue features Death Metal, pop, punk rock, hip-hop and even the occasional comedy show.

Whether you are getting down and dirty on the ground floor in the mosh pit, or merely watching from the safety of the risers, the multi-layered semicircle that expands out in front of the stage provides a great time for the attendance.

In terms of sound quality, Town Ballroom is one of the best around. The circular build to the room helps to distribute the sound evenly across the crowd, ensuring that wherever you're standing you get the best experience possible.

With its big name acts, wide variety of genres and innovative design, Town Ballroom is one of the best all-around venues for any music fan.

Xtreme Wheels

Teenagers, hair spray and neon clothes are all in abundance at Buffalo's Extreme Wheels skate park and concert venue.

Though the open warehouse environment of the skate park helps eliminate all feelings of overcrowding, this tends to have a negative effect on the music, as the sound becomes dispersed throughout the entire venue.

Compound the awful sound quality, a no swearing rule, and mix in a concert line-up featuring almost exclusively hardcore style bands and it is clear that Xtreme Wheels is a concert venue for those yet to see their 21st birthday.

Club Infinity

Located at 8166 Main St. in Clarence NY, Club Infinity is one the region's best-kept secrets. While the venue may not hold shows as often as some of the others, it rarely disappoints.

On the main floor of Club Infinity, audiences can mosh, jump and dance with delight. Around the floor, however, is a small wall about waist high used to contain the rambunctious crowd, much like a fence does for cattle. Lying in wait just over the wall are several tables, where the more laid back attendee can watch the show in relative peace.

Though Infinity is a bit tougher to get to than some of the other venues, it is well worth the trip.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com