Security cameras cut crime on South Campus

The recent installation of nearly 100 new security cameras on South Campus appears to be serving its intent of reducing the on-campus crime rate.

On Saturday, a man attempting to steal a locked bicycle at Main Circle was seen on one such camera and promptly arrested.

"He was caught right away," said Gerald Schoenle, chief of University Police. "It was not a busy day, so our officer was looking at the camera and spotted the individual. He sent dispatch out and the suspect was apprehended on the spot."

Despite some minor damage to the bike lock, the crime was prevented exactly as envisioned when the project for comprehensive campus security improvement began two years ago.

The new security cameras on South Campus – approximately 80 in all – were installed as part of a larger University Facilities project to improve the entire infrastructure of security on campus. New lights and emergency phones were also installed.

"We did a risk assessment and determined where the most effective places to put the cameras would be," Schoenle said. "It was in the works for quite some time."

While the improvements have aided the University Police in spotting crimes in progress, allowing them to respond promptly, the crime rate on South Campus has remained consistent (and relatively low) for the last several years, according to Schoenle.

Unfortunately, the off-campus crime near South Campus has been essentially unaffected.

"The areas around campus are another story," Schoenle said. "We don't really have a lot of control over that."

The past upgrades have focused on South Campus, but similar improvements are being brought to North Campus. As the problems facing South Campus were considered by the University Police to be more urgent, they were given priority.

"The crime rate on North [Campus] is just not substantial compared to the South [Campus]," said Joe Desotelle, the project manager.

Desotelle said the North Campus phase will consist of installing 77 new security cameras, 63 new blue light emergency phones, warning signs, and lighting around campus.

The North Campus plans are about 60 percent complete. The tentative completion date is the spring of 2011.