Zimpher weighs in

Chancellor remains hopeful despite SUNY cuts

Although the SUNY system is in a dire financial situation due in large part to the $210 million budget cuts, SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher remains optimistic about the future of the state's public schools.

An administrative body has already been assembled for the specific purpose of responding to the cuts. This group will be making tough calls in order to keep each of the 64 campuses running at a high level.

"We have an effective governance structure that will look at all possibilities in the coming weeks and months, including a Budget Task Force that includes campus presidents and business officers," Zimpher said. "SUNY System Administration has made layoffs and furloughed employees in our Albany headquarters, and we will work with each campus president to determine the best course of action for each individual institution's needs."

The budget cuts hurt the SUNY schools, but it was the legislature's failure to include the Public Higher Education Empowerment and Innovation Act in the New York State budget that jeopardized the system's collective future. The act, which would have granted each SUNY school the autonomy to set its own tuition, had a great deal of support from the campuses and their communities.

Senate and Assembly democrats blocked the act, feeling that giving each school power over tuition would have led to increases that would make state universities unaffordable to lower income students.

According to David Belsky, the SUNY Special Assistant for Strategic Communications, the policy changes of PHEEIA are still being fought for through other channels and remain feasible.

"The Senate Majority has announced that a framework agreement is being discussed," Belsky said. "We expect lawmakers to stay true to their word and bring these critical issues back to the table this fall."

Perhaps the most significant consequence of the state budget cuts to UB is the strain now put on the plans of UB 2020. Although the project is moving forward, compromise and revisions have become necessary.

"UB 2020 [will move forward], albeit at a slower pace," Zimpher said. "The unfortunate results of the state's actions will include fewer jobs created, less additional contributions to local economies and a more difficult task in protecting academic excellence – all things we know we can accomplish with the right tools and resources."

Although the announcement of President John B. Simpson's retirement has led some to question the future of the project, Zimpher believes UB 2020 will progress in his absence.

"Because these issues matter to the entire UB community and all of Western New York, I have no doubt that UB 2020 will continue beyond the excellent foundation President Simpson has laid during his time in Buffalo," Zimpher said.

Despite the bleak looking prognosis for this coming year, Zimpher assures students that the entire administration will continue to fight for the changes that they feel are necessary.

"New York needs SUNY to be a strong engine of educational and economic opportunities, and we will continue to do everything possible to maximize our positive impact on our students, our communities, and all of our state's citizens," Zimpher said.