A different type of working class

From serving food at restaurants in The Commons to stocking shelves at grocery stores on the weekends, UB students make money in many of different ways.

Both on and off campus, in work-study and regular pay positions, a large portion of the student body is employed in one way or another to earn some much needed extra cash.

Arlene Kaukus, the director of Career Services, feels that part-time jobs for students are an invaluable way to learn some important life skills, as well as build useful connections.

"We encourage students to look for employment, to the extent that they can work it into their academic study," Kaukus said. "We see it as a great learning opportunity. It's great way to network on campus. It's a great way to build new skills and it looks good on your resume."

Career Services is one of the best resources available to students looking for jobs on campus. Aside from listing all of the available on-campus positions on their website, Kaukus and her colleagues help students with their resumes, perform practice interviews and aid students in working through the job application process.

"Ultimately, our goal is life long career fulfillment for the students and alumni of UB," Kaukus said. "We want to launch you on a successful life."

While juggling a job with the responsibilities of classes can be difficult, most students feel that it's manageable.

William Kim, a senior computer science major, believes his 20-hour per week job at the helpdesk in the Cybrary fits well into his schedule.

"The job is really flexible," Kim said. "You can always trade shifts with fellow coworkers."

The demands of a part-time job are also greatly relieved if the position is one the student finds enjoyable. This is the case for Evonne Cleveland, a senior speech and hearing science major who works at the Student Life desk in the Student Union.

"I love it," Cleveland said. "It's the best job ever. A lot of people think we just sit on our butts all day, but a lot of times we're setting up for whatever event is going on in the Union."

For students who qualify, work-study jobs are also available in nearly every department at the university. Although the application process is extensive and a substantial financial need must be shown to qualify, work-study jobs do have one major advantage over the standard pay positions. Because they are funded by grants on the federal level, work-study jobs have been essentially unaffected by the budget cuts UB is now facing.

According to Bob Orrange, associate director of Career Services, that has not been the case with standard pay jobs on campus.

"I think the total number of positions that are open for students that are paid directly by the departments has gone down," Orrange said. "There's just fewer jobs available because of the New York state budget crisis and there's no other way of putting it other than that."

If students can't find jobs on campus, there are plenty of opportunities available at nearby businesses off campus. Kyle Zimmer, a senior exercise science major, works with a number of other UB students at the Villas at Chestnut Ridge service desk.

"We have to make and receive a lot of phone calls," Zimmer said. "We have to give out tours. We have to file. It's just a lot of customer service."

Zimmer and his coworkers receive compensation in an interesting manner. For working a set number of hours each week, they are given free rent at the Villas, receiving pay for each hour over the minimum requirement.

For students who are really looking, there will usually be a part-time position open somewhere on or nearby campus. If students are unsuccessful or have any career related concerns at all, Kaukus suggests they stop by the Career Services offices for assistance.