Harvard study confirms student anxiety

In a recent study released by Harvard's John Kennedy School of Government, college-age students were polled to reveal answers about post-graduation anxiety.
This national Web-enabled survey tested 3,117 18-29 year-olds in America and focused on life after graduation.
The poll found that 60 percent of young adults were concerned with "keeping their heads above water" which includes being able to pay off student debts and other financial obligations. Fifty-eight percent of those surveyed were worried about finding affordable housing, 45 percent worried about not being able to stay in school and 46 percent were worried about finding and keeping a job.
The study hits close to home as students prepare for graduation in May. Many UB students are worried about post-graduation life and the prospects waiting in the job market.
"I'm seriously considering law school," said Thomas Topper, a junior management major. "Not only because I have legitimate interest in the law, but also because I'm worried about the local job market."
Fear of the job industry after graduation keeps many students in higher education longer. According to The National Associated of Colleges and Employers, in 2009, 27 percent of college graduates reported that they planned on attending graduate school.
Richard J. Porter, a senior political science major plans to attend UB's law school in the fall of 2010 and is confident in his decision.
"UB has strong ties to the Western New York legal community and its alumni network across New York State is top notch," Porter said.
Graduate school has become an attractive alternative to many students worried about what the job market has in store for them.
Dave Leven, a 2009 graduate of the University of Rochester with degrees in financial economics and political science, is just one example.
Leven has been working as a mover for a local family operation as well as a personal assistant for a Rochester area executive since graduation. While the idea of having two jobs seems fantastic to some, Leven's reality is not.
"I work two jobs and between them I work between 60 and 80 hours on an average week," Leven said. "You'd think I would be living the life, but I'm not."
The University of Rochester expects students to spend in excess of $50,000 a year for their undergraduate education, while consistently ranking within the top 50 National Universities, according to USNEWS.
UB is ranked slightly above 100 in the USNEWS survey of national universities.
The fear of not being able to pay back student loans, or find a job in the competitive job atmosphere remains a constant worry for many undergraduate students looking toward the future.

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com