The man with the underwear gun

Guns, car chases, hookers and a complete lack of respect for anyone or anything: welcome to the life of international spy Sterling Archer.
FX's new comedy series Archer takes the viewer inside the dysfunctional and eccentric world of the espionage agency ISIS's employees. From the unapologetic protagonist Sterling Archer (H. Jon Benjamin, Family Guy) to his insane ex-girlfriend Lana Kane (Aisha Tyler, Bedtime Stories), Archer is one comedy that isn't afraid to insult.
With only two episodes under its belt, Archer is quickly showing that there is no topic too offensive. Dead hookers, immigrants and Dane Cook's lack of talent have all become the brunt of hilariously over the top jokes. Of course, with Adam Reed, the creator of Sealab 2021, Frisky Dingo and Space Ghost Coast to Coast, penning the script, nothing less is to be expected.
As incredibly hilarious and absurd as the situations that arise in this show are, it's the characters that truly bring the show to life.
Archer is a series brimming with an all-star comedic cast, including Benjamin, an actor who is no stranger to crude animated humor. His various acting roles include spots on both Family Guy and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
Jessica Walter (Arrested Development) does a fantastic job as the manipulative Malory Archer, Archer's mother and boss. Walter shows her willingness to push the envelope in this role with scenes including Russian phone sex and an unrelenting stream of offensive quips.
In addition to both Benjamin and Walter is the quirky Chris Parnell (30 Rock). Parnell is the voice of ISIS comptroller Cyril Figgis, the nerdy anti-Archer who becomes the boyfriend of Archer's ex.
The series premiered its first two sidesplitting episodes on FX Thursday night. Both episodes were equally hilarious and the plots were similarly ridiculous. If the show is able to keep up the pace that it has set, Archer is likely to become an instant classic.
The first episode, 'Training Day,' doesn't ease you into the show, but rather tosses you into the deep end headfirst. The episode centers around Archer attempting to turn bookworm Cyril into a deadly field agent just like himself, while Kane attempts to unfold what, exactly, is going on.
Archer goes about this in his own unique way. The accomplished spy loads up the ill-equipped Cyril with a poison pen and underwear gun before giving him any proper instruction.
From there, Cyril is trained in Archer's ways by shooting at his butler and dancing with a call girl, whose occupational title is switched to hooker after a tragic accident.
The second episode, 'Mole Hunt,' continues to delve deep into the outrageous lifestyle of the extravagant Archer, this time focusing in on his financial expenses.
After Malory explains to him that he is spending far too much and that 'ISIS doesn't just exist so that you can jet off to whore island,' Archer places the blame on a fictional mole and sets out to change his financial records.
Employing fat jokes and outlandish statements, the episode is guaranteed to have viewers laughing throughout while simultaneously feeling slightly ashamed of themselves – and that's exactly what makes it great.
Despite only having aired two episodes, Archer has already shown a large amount of potential and raised the bar for today's animated comedies. The show is raunchy, obnoxious and every bit as funny as anything else currently on air.
Archer is a must see original that does anything but disappoint. The series takes shots at anyone and anything and refuses to make excuses for it. Don't be surprised to see Archer in it for the long haul and making a name for itself up there with the likes of Family Guy and South Park.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com