Bulls drop ball to Bobcat attack

There have been specific plays that have sent the football team's season down a spiraling road full of missed opportunities. Numerous drops, missed tackles and turnovers have hurt the team all season long and have resulted in disappointment.

But the Bulls' last offensive play Tuesday night against Ohio was the ultimate microcosm of Buffalo's season.

After a Matt Weller 46-yard kick gave Ohio a three-point lead with 1:19 left, sophomore quarterback Zach Maynard led the Bulls down to the Ohio 33-yard line, in position to tie or win the game.

But on a third-down pass, an open sophomore wide receiver Marcus Rivers received the ball at the 23-yard line and dropped it into the hands of Ohio cornerback Shannon Ballard. It was just one of numerous Buffalo drops, but it was the most important as Ballard's interception sealed another disappointing Buffalo (3-7, 1-5 Mid-American Conference) loss in a 27-24 Ohio (7-3, 5-1 MAC) victory.

Buffalo now has no chance to play in a bowl game this year.

It was Buffalo's third-straight loss that came down to the final minute. The loss continues to reverse the trend set by last year's team that pulled of numerous come-from-behind, late minute victories.

'I guess you can sit back and say we were able to win some of those games at the end last year, but that's the way it goes,' said Buffalo head coach Turner Gill. 'You just need to learn how to finish, and we have to make the plays when we need to make them.'

Gill was not too hurt by the defeat and thought his team worked hard and brought effort to the table.

'I'm proud of our football team,' Gill said. 'They played hard and with great effort.'

For Maynard, the interception capped what was an up-and-down night. He finished 17-for-36 with 230 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions.

But many of those 19 incomplete passes were results of misplays by receivers. On the game-deciding drive, Buffalo receivers dropped three passes – including Rivers' game-deciding misexecution – making it difficult for Maynard to piece together a comeback.

Despite his receivers' faults, Maynard and a pair of seniors playing their last home game got the team into Ohio territory and gave it a chance to win. Maynard completed a six-yard pass to senior wide receiver Naaman Roosevelt on a fourth down at the Buffalo 33-yard-line to keep the drive alive.

Another senior wide receiver, Brett Hamlin, came through on the next play with a 20-yard reception that set the Bulls up at the Ohio 33-yard line. After a spike and an incomplete pass, Maynard spotted Rivers open on a quick slant route. He delivered the ball, but it squirted out of Rivers' hands and ended the game.

Maynard was confident during the last drive, despite the drops and situation his team faced.

'In the second half we came out with a lot more momentum, getting the ball to the receivers and making good plays,' Maynard said. 'We were driving the ball, and unfortunately we dropped the ball and then they got the ball. It hurts really bad.'

The painful interception put a sour note on Senior Night as 15 seniors capped their Buffalo home careers on Tuesday night.

Roosevelt had one of his best games during his last home game, finishing with eight grabs and a career-high 165 yards and three touchdowns.

The loss left a bad taste in Roosevelt's mouth after the game.

'[The loss] definitely hurts, not just for me but for all the seniors,' Roosevelt said. 'It definitely hurts to lose like this, but we played with great effort and gave what we had.'

Ohio had as much to do with the Buffalo loss as Rivers' drop did. Quarterback Theo Scott distributed the ball with effectiveness and finished the game 22-for-28 with 221 yards. He started the game with 12 straight completions and didn't throw an incomplete pass until the second half.

Scott stayed consistent on what was the game-winning drive for the Bobcats. On a possession that started at the Ohio 17-yard line with 6:58 remaining, Scott went 4-for-5 for 33 yards, effectively distributing the ball and taking chunks of time off the clock in the process.

The biggest play of the drive came on a fourth-and-1 at Buffalo's 38-yard line with 2:45 left on the clock. Out of field goal range, Ohio called an option, and Scott pitched the ball to running back Chris Garrett in open field for a 10-yard run, continuing the drive and setting up the field goal.

'Give credit to Ohio University,' Gill said. 'They did a good job of executing their plays they needed to.'

Buffalo has two games remaining on the schedule. The team heads to Oxford, Ohio next Wednesday for a game with Miami (Ohio). Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com