"New season, old tricks"

Here we go again.

That all too familiar buzz has occupied the air in the city of Buffalo.

With the second week of the National Football League season in the books, the Buffalo Bills are up to their old tricks.

It was a wild week for the Bills prior to the season opener at New England. Just 10 days before the start of the season, Buffalo announced it fired offensive coordinator Turk Schonert and replaced him with former quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt. Four days later, the Bills released their multi-million dollar left tackle Langston Walker and put their faith in second-year project Demetrius Bell.

After the hype that surrounded the team during the pervious few months, it seemed as though all hope had come crashing down in the blink of an eye.

As a diehard Bills fan, however, I enter every season with high expectations that this will be the year – the year we defeat the almighty Patriots, make the playoffs and finally win the Super Bowl.

But after an embarrassing preseason and the drastic changes made on a whim, I couldn't help but expect another disappointing season in Orchard Park.

Heading into the first week at New England, I didn't have a glimmer of hope for Buffalo to win the game. Though I may be a lifelong fan, I am also a realist. Traveling to Gillette Stadium to take on Tom Brady, on Monday night, in the national spotlight?

Not a chance.

To my disbelief, the Bills gave New England everything they could handle and more. In all reality, Buffalo should've left Boston with a win. Controlling the Patriots for 55 minutes of football was an impressive showing for the young Bills. I'll be the first to admit, I thought Buffalo had pulled off the upset. The excitement in the air gave me goose bumps as I waited for the clock to reach zero.

Unfortunately, a football game totals 60 minutes.

Blowing an 11-point lead in the final five minutes to lose 25-24 was an emotionally deflating defeat.

But I should be used to this by now, right?

Four straight Super Bowl losses, two straight Monday night meltdowns and a music city miracle later, Western New Yorkers – including myself – have endured gut-wrenching loss after gut-wrenching loss.

Nevertheless, as a loyal fan, I continue to support my team.

I shrugged off the heartbreaking loss and looked forward to Sunday's home opener against Tampa Bay.

Buffalo proved that their showing at New England was no fluke this week. In a convincing 33-20 win over the Buccaneers, the Bills seemed to have forged an identity that has been missing for the past decade.

Quarterback Trent Edwards has been fantastic to watch through the first two games. With control over the newly installed no-huddle offense, Edwards has commanded the field with great poise and precision. The inexperienced offensive line has controlled opposing defenders, while running back Fred Jackson has rushed for 220 yards.

The defense has created pressure on opposing quarterbacks, produced turnovers and been stout against the run. Head coach Dick Jauron has shown confidence in his team and seems to have eliminated the bone-headed decisions that have haunted his career in Buffalo.

I know it's only two games into the season, but I can't help but be excited for the team's potential. I will admit that my head is high in the clouds after their first win and one bad loss will put my feet back on the ground.

But that's the life of a Bills fan and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Email: joe.paterno@ubspectrum.com