Taking a Sneak Peek

???After losing to Connecticut in its January bowl game, the football team waited almost three months to get back on the field. Buffalo's loss in the International Bowl left a sour taste in the mouths of players, coaches and fans.

???Buffalo went back to work during spring practice in March. Working toward another bowl appearance, Buffalo's annual Blue and White Scrimmage Game marked the start of a new era at the quarterback and both offensive and defensive coordinator positions, among others.

???Saturday's scrimmage in front of over 1,500 fans provided the new components a chance to experience live-game atmosphere for the first time.

???A unique scoring system was used in the scrimmage, awarding both the offense and defense with points for various situations. The offense, outfitted in white jerseys, knocked off the defense, 46-44.

???"Overall, I'm really happy where we're at this point and time. Our team has come together," said head coach Turner Gill. "I was very pleased to see the community come out and have a sneak preview of our football team, and I think that is another aspect of proving that our program is moving forward."

???All eyes were on sophomore quarterback Zach Maynard on the warm but windy afternoon. Taking over for four-year starter Drew Willy next season, Maynard now holds the reigns to the Bulls' offense.

???In his first game experience as a starter, Maynard battled a swirling breeze and looked rusty, throwing 15-of-35 for 129 yards. The new starting quarterback, who contributed in eight games during Buffalo's run to the Mid-American Conference Championship, felt the jitters Saturday.

???"I was just anxious to play and finally get out there," Maynard said. "...You get out there and you're so hyped and ready to play."

???Despite a shaky performance, Maynard earned him the starting job. According to Gill, unless there is a drastic drop-off in Maynard's play during the offseason, he will be Buffalo's starting quarterback in the team's season opener at UTEP on Sept. 5.

???Maynard's speed adds another dimension to the Buffalo offense. Gill and newly appointed offensive coordinator Danny Barrett plan to utilize a number of rollouts for the scrambling signal caller. A number of those plays were implemented Saturday, giving Maynard the option of tossing the ball downfield or taking off.

???"It just opens up so much stuff, so many things down the field, especially with him scrambling and still looking downfield to throw the ball," said senior wide receiver Naaman Roosevelt.

???Both Roosevelt and Maynard plan on working during the summer to strengthen their chemistry. Maynard, listed at 185 pounds, plans to hit the weight room while practicing in Buffalo.

???There is still a question concerning Maynard's tenacity and decision-making ability under pressure.

???"I believe in his ability. How he goes out and performs remains to be seen," Gill said. "I wouldn't say it's a concern. It's just waiting to see how he's going to do."

???The quarterback position was not the only one experiencing a change.

???With eight starters returning - including every starting linebacker and defensive back - to the unit, new defensive coordinator Fred Reed will head up an experienced unit that gave up 28.2 points a game last season.

???"Overall, the defense has come along. Coach Reed has done a great job as the new defensive coordinator," Gill said. "I think the wrinkles he has put in, our guys have made progress."

???Sophomore Scott Pettigrew led the defense from a statistical standpoint. The linebacker, who was named to Rivals.com MAC All-Freshman Team, finished with 10 tackles, a tackle for a loss and a pass breakup.

???The defensive line was particularly impressive during the scrimmage. Manned with three senior starters last season, Buffalo's front four totaled just 10 sacks.

???A faster, stronger line showed up in front of home fans on Saturday. Redshirt-freshman Steven Means and sophomore Richie Smith each had two sacks on the day.

???Smith, who also tallied three tackles for loss, has seen improved play from his part of the defense.

???"We're young, but we're working really hard," Smith said. "We're working out the little things right now and getting better as a unit."

???The Bulls have one last practice on Tuesday before retiring for the rest of the semester. Numerous players will stay in Buffalo over the summer to take part in offseason workouts. All the work being put in will build up as the team heads toward its season opener.

Additional reporting by Staff Writer Matt Davies