Boudreau bounces Buffalo into Finals

The chant "Just like football" echoed throughout Quicken Loans Arena Friday night.

There were not any game-changing fumbles or long bombs for touchdowns, but the result of Buffalo and Ball State's semifinal game was very similar to the Mid-American Conference Football Championship. .

Junior forward Max Boudreau put the Bulls on his broad Canadian shoulders, scoring a career-high 21 points en route to a Buffalo (21-10, 11-5 MAC) 64-52, MAC Semifinal victory over the Ball State Cardinals (14-17, 7-9 MAC).

The Bulls came out more determined and focused than they did in their previous matchup with Ball State in February. In the 53-51 loss to the Cardinals, Buffalo struggled down low and was unable to establish a consistent offense.

Buffalo's domination in the paint was key in their victory Friday. As a team the Bulls out-rebounded Ball State by a whooping 13 rebounds. In their loss at Ball State in February, the Bulls had three less rebounds than the Cardinals.

"We wanted to step up our intensity this game," said freshman forward Mitchell Watt. "I think last time against Ball State we came out flat. I think tonight we came out tonight and banged back a little bit. We got back to playing our defense."

And Buffalo's defense was huge in their win. The Cardinals' Jarrod Jones, recently named MAC Freshman of the Year, scored just eight points in 34 minutes. Forward Malik Perry was also held in check with just five points and four rebounds before fouling out.

"We had to keep up our defensive intensity. That's our motto: to play with Buffalo principles," said junior guard Rodney Pierce.

On offense, Boudreau stole the show. Coming into Friday's game, his career-high was 14 points. But against Ball State, Boudreau was a force to be reckoned with near the bucket. He shot a staggering 8-of-10 from the floor and looked determined all night long.

"It's certainly a bigger stage so you have to turn it up a notch," Boudreau said. "You lose or go home, so you got to come out determined."

Head coach Reggie Witherspoon has seen Boudreau's relentless work ethic over the course of the season. He believes it's been a huge factor in his recent improvement of play.

"I think Max is really determined to improving and working at his game," he said. "That was the key in the game. He really has established himself around the basket."

Boudreau spearheaded what was a solid effort from Buffalo's bench players. As a unit, the Bulls' bench players outscored Ball State's reserves 31-6.

Just like Boudreau, Watt came through in his second-straight game. He finished with 10 points and four rebounds in 19 minutes.

Pierce also recovered after an off-night against Kent State Thursday. The First-Team All-MAC selection shot 8-for-14 from the floor and scored 18 points.

Now the Bulls find themselves with a chance to make history. This will be the second time Buffalo plays in a MAC Basketball Championship game in their history. In 2005, the Bulls dropped a heartbreaker against Ohio in overtime.

But Witherspoon would rather not look back on that loss. He knows this is a special opportunity ahead and his team will be ready to play.

"It's hard to get here. The problem is the MAC is so balanced that you can play well and still lose," Witherspoon said. "We weren't worried about the championship game, we were just worried about playing the best that we can."

Tip-off is at 8 p.m. Saturday night. The game will be broadcasted on ESPN2.

"As the guys said they're aware of the fact that nobody gave them chance to be this far," Witherspoon said. "We just want to go out and play."