The next best thing to acid

Stepping out of the cold and into Allen Hall Wednesday night, concertgoers found themselves in an hour and a half long psychedelic mind trip that only a '60s inspired band could deliver.

???As fans and curious students took their seats in the sound stage, Anita West of WBFO, their host for the evening's radio broadcast, greeted them. After a short sound check and explanation of "the rules" to being on live radio, La Cacahouette took to the stage.

???Heads began to nod and sway as song after song of the impressive shoegazing movement flowed from the band's fingertips.

???After playing a few tracks, the band stopped and did a mini interview with West. During the exchange, La Cacahouette opened up to the crowd about themselves.

Interesting facts were divulged, such as the marriage between guitarist Gerald Thomas and singer Pepper Thomas.

???Not tied down to any music label, La Cacahouette chooses to follow the beat of their own drum by setting up their own booking and recording, as well as designing all their merchandise.

???Pepper Thomas told West that the band's name was chosen because it was her favorite word in the French language, while newcomer to the band, Jay Sallese, admitted that before tonight he didn't have any idea where the name came from.

???The questionnaire wrapped up and La Cacahouette resumed play, though this time the band had thrown in two new instruments.

???Sallese took up the trumpet and front woman Pepper Thomas took up the lesser-known theremin.

???For those who are reading this and are wondering what exactly a theremin is, here it is in a nutshell: a 5-foot radio antenna-like device that produces the sounds used in '50s sci-fi film fare as you move your hand towards or away from it.

???Mixing guitars, bass, keyboards, drums, trumpets and the theremin, the band continued to pump out psychedelic mind-melting tunes.

???"I thought it was very diverse and interesting. Definitely different," said Jessica Kilbury, a junior undecided major.

???In between each song, the band paused, giving West a chance to say whatever was on her mind. More often than not, this turned into her shouting the band's name in order to prompt the crowd to cheer. As the show progressed, so did the enthusiasm of the applause.

???Though the vast majority of the audience seemed to enjoy the band's music, there were a few who weren't blown away.

???"Every song they played was reminiscent of something else, so when you were listening you were thinking 'where have I heard this before' instead of 'this is great,'" said Matthew Silverstein, a sophomore anthropology major.

???Silverstein's assessment of the band's sound is a fair one. La Cacahouette's music is inspired by several different genres. Take Frank Zappa and Death Cab For Cutie, top them off with some Pixies, mix in a blender and the end result is La Cacahouette.

???Although each member of the band put on an impressive showcase utilizing multiple instruments, it was drummer Blake Ellman who, in the end, stole the show. Ellman provided solid beats and mind-numbing cymbal crashes throughout the band's set, but it wasn't until the last song that he really stood out.

???Closing with an impressive drum solo, the band exited the stage to an uproar of applause that didn't die out until after they had completely left the stage.

???The band currently only has one album out, French For Peanut, but they are hard at work on their second. They hope to have it out before next fall.

???With their mind-melting rifts and UFO-influenced sounds, La Cacahouette is definitely a band worth giving a try. Not to mention they're cheaper and healthier than most hallucinogens.