"Self-absorbed, selfish and self-centered"

???America's obsession with itself can be seen in many different aspects of society, from flashy fashion and cars to the lyrics in popular music. However, few people realize that the essence of America's favorite obsession is lurking in our language.

???There are 150 words in the American-English language that are related with the self, which is significantly more than societies where people are more concerned with the whole group. Although there are those few gems like "selfless," the majority of the words with self in them focus on the speaker.

???This self-centered behavior is taught from a young age. "Mine," "I" and "me" are some of the first words children learn, and parents encourage their children from a young age to solve their own problems.

???In the 17th century, the philosopher Thomas Hobbes stated that "All society, therefore, is either for gain or for glory; that is, not so much for the love of our fellows as for the love of ourselves."

???This egotistical outlook is the reason communism could never work in the United States. Now, don't label me as a card-carrying communist just yet, because I am not saying communism is the ideal form of government, nor am I suggesting we all go live on communes (although it has been awhile since I have had a good Kumbaya group sing-along).

???I fully support individuality, but there is a thin line between being an individual and being selfish. I feel people often get the two things confused.

???Going to the beat of your own drum is great. I myself have been known to take the road less traveled, but once it gets in your way of considering the well being of others, it is a problem.

???Most people on campus are not likely to make eye contact with someone they don't know, let alone lend them a hand. Now, this does not mean that you have to help every damsel in distress to be a good person, but there are many things people can do to show compassion for others.

???Participating in a charity shows more concern than just donating money because putting in time exposes someone to what the cause is, and is evidence that they are willing to try to make a difference.

??? One thing that can be done to show you give a care about the rest of the world is smiling at other people, as the Dalai Lama suggested a few years ago when he was here.

???College is a very rough place for many people and can be very lonely, and by simply giving someone a smile, you can brighten up his or her day.

???Even holding a door for someone is a simple way to show you care about other human beings around you.

???Being less self-absorbed is not a very difficult task, but is something that could potentially benefit everyone you come into contact with.

???And as corny or cliche as it may sound, if even one person spends a little less time thinking about him or herself and more time thinking about how he or she could help others, it makes a difference; just try it and find out.