Campus-wide computing outage resolved

Many students were surprised to find the UB server down Monday from approximately 1 p.m. to about 6 p.m. due to a hardware failure.

"The UB IT staff worked with the vendor through the night to address the hardware failure and we [are continuing] to monitor the situation closely as of this moment... and until we have indentified and addressed all remaining issues," said Elias G. Eldayrie, associate vice president for Information Technology, in an e-mail.

According to Eldayrie, the problems that were experienced were related strictly to accessing the systems and did not affect data or the loss of any data on the systems.

Although the malfunction was only temporary, some students ran into complications.

"I haven't been able to get on UB Learns, and I need a syllabus for one of my classes," said Nick Narchus, a junior political science major.

The server being down only added to the stress that students feel at the beginning of a new semester. Many students were unable to find their class times or locations prior to the start of the semester, some missing their classes all together.

"I couldn't get on MyUB, so I had to guess where all of my classes were," said Andrew Leach, a sophomore mathematics major.

If students have any other complications, they can reach the CIT Help Desk at 645-3542.

"Please extend my apologies to our students, faculty and staff for any inconvenience this temporary outage may have caused," Eldayrie said.