Bulls get mixed results in Olean

For the last couple of weeks, McGraw-Jennings Field has been the home of the Buffalo Bulls baseball team. This week, the St. Bonaventure Field in Olean, NY doubled as both a home and an away field for Buffalo.

The Bulls (7-17, 2-6 Mid-American Conference) were able to win their first MAC games of the year over the weekend, sweeping Central Michigan (7-15, 1-4 MAC), 1-0 in the first game and 4-3 in the second.

The first game was a pitcher's duel between sophomore pitcher Jeffrey Hains of Buffalo and Eric Lawrence of Central Michigan. Both pitchers threw at least eight innings, with Lawrence pitching a complete game.

Hains gave up five hits in eight and two-thirds innings of work while striking out three batters. Lawrence struck out four and only walked one, also picking up the loss for the Chippewas.

In the sixth inning, the Bulls scored their lone run when freshman third baseman Kevin McCall opened up the inning with a single. He advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. Junior catcher Rob Mancini hit an RBI double to score McCall and give the Bulls the eventual game-winning run.

Trying to come back, Central Michigan was only able to get three runners on base in the final three innings. In the ninth, the Chippewas had their best chance to rally. After getting two straight outs to start the inning, designated hitter Billy Anderson hit a double. After a wild pitch, Anderson advanced to third. With the tying run only 90 feet away, center fielder Cody Allen hit a fly out to left field to end the threat.

The second game of the doubleheader was equally as exciting, and the Bulls were able to win in extra innings 4-3.

The nightcap provided fans with another pitching duel. Junior pitcher Mike Stangroom pitched six innings and gave up three runs, only one of which was earned. He also struck out five batters.

Central Michigan pitcher Dan Taylor pitched eight innings and struck out six batters. He also gave up three runs, two of which were earned.

Central Michigan scored first in the game, when shortstop Jeff Helps scored in the first inning on a Tyler Stovall single.

Buffalo answered in the third inning, scoring two runs to take the lead. Senior catcher Rick Oliveri tied the game when he crossed the plate on a Mancini single. Buffalo tacked on another run when junior shortstop Jacob Rosenbeck singled to center field, scoring McCall.

Central Michigan answered back in the fourth. Casey Ingle reached on an error and scored after a Tyler Kipke triple. Kipke was sent home on a Rod Helsen sacrifice fly, giving Central Michigan a 3-2 lead.

Buffalo tied the game up in the sixth when sophomore centerfielder Adam Skonieczki singled in junior right fielder Chris Ciesla.

After three innings of scoreless baseball, the Bulls and Chippewas fought in extra innings. Central Michigan went three-up, three-down in the 10th inning. Buffalo ended the game when senior first baseman Nick Walczak scored on a Skonieczki single.

Playing at McGraw-Jennings for the first time as an away team, Buffalo was swept in a pair of games against St. Bonaventure (10-9, 2-4 Atlantic 10) on Tuesday. The teams played seven innings instead of the customary nine. In doubleheader non-conference games collegiate rules state that teams should play only seven innings per-game.

In the first game, the Bulls only had five hits and they were unable to cross home plate in their 5-0 loss to the Bonnies.

Sophomore pitcher Chaz Mye kept the Bulls in the hunt for most of the game, only surrendering one run through four innings before St. Bonaventure finally got to him. The loss pushed his record to 0-3 on the season.

St. Bonaventure scored in the second inning when Ryan Mosher hit into a fielder's choice, scoring T.J. Pennino.

Following the bottom of the second inning, Buffalo had its best chance to score. Junior second baseman Brian Randazzo opened the inning by getting on base with a walk. Walczak followed with a double, advancing Randazzo to third.

With runners on second and third with no outs, Rosenbeck was unlucky when he lined a ball right back to the pitcher, who would then double up Randazzo at third. St. Bonaventure got out of the inning when Ciesla flied out to center fielder.

In the fifth inning, St. Bonaventure was able to put the Bulls away. After a single and a steal, second baseman Kevin Suminski scored on a single by shortstop Jesse Bosnik. Center fielder Randy Moley then hit a two-run home run, giving the Bonnies some breathing room. They would tack on another run to make it 5-0.

The Bulls failed to make much of a comeback in the late innings. In the fifth, sophomore center fielder Evan Pituzzo singled. His threat was quickly erased as he was caught stealing. The Bulls failed to get anyone else on base after that point.

The second game of the doubleheader provided the same result for the Bulls. Even though they finally got on the board, the Bulls fell to the Bonnies, 3-1.

Like Mye in the first game, freshman pitcher Jesse Reinstein pitched very well to keep the Bulls in it. In his three innings of work, Reinstein struck out six batters while giving up no runs.

After three innings of scoreless baseball, the Bulls would be first to light up the scoreboard. After a leadoff out, sophomore third baseman Shivam Bhan singled and then advanced on a wild pitch to give the Bulls some life. Bhan had two hits in the game.

Looking to make up for his double play in the first game, Rosenbeck redeemed himself when he singled in Bhan to give the Bulls the lead.

The Buffalo lead was short lived. In the bottom of the fifth inning, St. Bonaventure got the ball rolling and made sure Buffalo would not steal a game from them.

With runners on first and second, Moley capped a great doubleheader with an RBI single. On the play, Ciesla had an error for Buffalo, allowing the Bonnies to score a second run and advance Moley to second. Moley would score later in the inning on a single by catcher Brandon Salerno.

Trying to muster a comeback, the Bulls could not get anything going. They only got two men on base and were unable to figure out the Bonnies' relief pitching.

Junior pitcher Zach Anderson got the loss. He gave up two runs, one earned, and four hits in the defeat. The loss pushed his record to 3-4.

The doubleheader was highlighted by missed opportunities for the Bulls. Over the two-game stretch, Buffalo left 15 men on base. St. Bonaventure left 13 on base, but was still able to get men home when they needed it most.

The Bulls will look to get back on the winning track as they return to MAC-play against Ball State. The weekend series starts on Friday in Muncie, Ind.