A rock recital

A full house got the Led out Saturday night at the UB Center For the Arts Mainstage Theatre with "Classic Albums Live Presents Led Zeppelin." The fans were loud and the music was louder, as the group rocked out late into the night.

Classic Albums Live is a production group based out of Toronto that takes classic rock albums and recites them note for note in concert. Manager Tracy Martin clarifies that they are not a tribute band.

"There is no one out there trying to be Robert Plant," Martin said. "[They] look to present the music as an orchestra performs Mozart...it is a rock recital."

The group played through the entire Led Zeppelin IV album (commonly called Zoso) from the rocking first track of "Black Dog" to an incredible version of "When the Levy Breaks," which was the highlight of the night for Brian Dolan, a UB engineering freshman.

"The sound is really close, especially the singer, which surprised me," Noland said.

But Zoso was only the group's first set, as they came out and did many of Zeppelin's greatest hits, including an amazing "Lemon Song" and a version of "Ramble On" that had the audience on their feet.

The group had a jaw-dropping five-song encore of "No Quarter," "Whole Lotta Love," "The Immigrant Song," "Communication Breakdown," and "Kashmir."

Before the last song, however, lead singer Hilyard told the crowd that he hoped they didn't mind them going "way the hell" their set's allotted time, and he wanted to come back because they were some of the loudest fans he has ever heard.

Whether it was the people in the crowd shouting, "long live Zeppelin" or "I love this song," it was easy to tell that the crowed loved the show.

John Schiavone, freshman mechanical engineering major, said he had listened to Classic Albums on Canadian radio stations for years. Once he heard they were coming to Buffalo, he knew he had to go.

"If they ever have a band cover Led Zeppelin for Guitar Hero, it should definitely be these guys," he said.

Classic Albums travels across North America using 50 different musicians to recreate the music of great bands such as The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, and Bob Marley.

All the musicians are professionals and according to Martin, "must be of a certain caliber."

The different groups have played in Florida, Connecticut, Las Vegas, and Dallas just to name a few. This was the first time they played Buffalo.

"We have been covering a lot of ground," Martin said.

The Zeppelin group that played at the CFA was made up of lead singer Nick Hilyard (who also plays keyboards and harmonica in some songs, and plays in a lot of the different groups that Classic Albums creates), guitarists Rob Phillips and Dominique Polito (the latter also played mandolin on a couple of tracks, and pulled out a violin bow to make a real Jimmy Page solo), drummer Rick Vatour, Mark Yenetta on bass, and Lindsey Clark on backup vocals and keyboard.

All of the musicians have a deep respect for the music.

"When we rehearse, you must come in knowing the album. Zeppelin is in your DNA, you either know it or you don't," Martin said.

Phillips said that he never got to see Zeppelin because he was only one year old when they played in Buffalo in 1973, but he really admires John Bonham.

"I listen to him and just shake my head," Phillips said.

The guitarist says he's lucky because there are many musicians out there playing music that they don't like, but he gets to play the music he loves. He also believes that productions like Classic Albums are "the orchestra of the future."

Drummer Rick Vatour, who maniacally executed a bare-handed drum solo, said that he was drawn to the music because it was what he listened to as a kid.

"Playing it is therapeutic, after playing it all night my body feels good," Vatour said.

Bass player Yenetta reiterated the sentiment and appreciation to be able to play music they love. "I am truly a John Paul Jones fan, and I love all his stuff...this is the ultimate position for me to play in."

The band put on an excellent performance and would like to be back in Buffalo soon.

"You have an amazing theatre with an amazing crowd and I would love to do it again," said Yenetta.

To find out more about Classic Albums Live, go online at classicalbumslive.com.