Students scale to new highs

There are other ways to build that sculpted back, rock hard abs, and bulging biceps than lifting weights in the gym. Rock climbing is an effective and fun way of developing upper body strength without the monotony of bench presses and dumbbell curls.

The Niagara Rock Climbing Center in North Tonawanda, located about 15 minutes from North Campus, has one of the best indoor facilities in the area.

Inside, the multicolored walls are tall, angled, and covered in various holds that reach to the ceiling. Some holds are even on the ceiling for experienced climbers. For those who want to climb high, a harness must be worn, which is connected to one of the 30 top-rope setups.

One of the center's three managers, George Kardoulias, who has been working at the center almost as long as it has been open, said that some people come in just to strengthen their upper body, including their forearms, biceps, chest, upper back and abs.

However, veteran climbers find that it's their technique that gets them to top-notch strength, according to Kardoulias.

"It's not just the strength, it's the technique of body movement, balance and footwork," Kardoulias said.

The center has climbers aged anywhere from their teens to their 50's, who all receive basic training in how to belay, or safely hold a climber's rope while they climb. The majority of their members climb during the week while the weekend tends to be full of birthday parties and kids.

"Climbing becomes addictive. Either you love it or you don't - it eventually becomes a lifestyle," Kardoulias said.

Most of the staff at the Niagara Rock Climbing Center are volunteers. According to Kardoulias, there are three paid managers and everyone else works a four-hour shift in exchange for free climbing.

Dan Kelly, a graduate student, is one of the volunteers at the center. Kelly has been climbing for about three years and has helped the center for the past year. Once a month a wall is stripped bare and is then re-set with holds and colored tape to create routes, or what Kelly calls "boulder problems."

"Route-setting is like an art. I haven't been doing it long so I come in and try to learn how to become a better setter," he said.

Kelly recommends that people who have a problem getting to the gym every day give climbing a try, as it provides an entertaining alternative.

"If you have motivational problems working out, this might be your place," Kelly said. "I can always come here and have fun and stay in shape."

According to Kelly, climbing can give members a feel of unity and closeness that are characteristic of the climbing community in general.

"The climbing world is like a community. People who dedicate their time and lives to pursue climbing tend to have a lot of respect for each other," Kelly said. "Nobody ever will come in here and be laughed at."

This is good news for first-time climbers at the center, Brigid O'Neill and Chris Nicholson, both junior history majors.

"It's difficult; you use a lot more strength than you think. It wasn't scary, though," O'Neill said. "They show you really well before you start climbing."

Nicholson, who is in ROTC and familiar with repelling, found the climbing to be challenging and a bit scary.

"I was scared at the top because I'm scared of heights and I wasn't completely sure about the belayer - it was her first time too," Nicholson said.

Thanks to the wonderful world of physics, you don't have to be a body builder to stop someone from falling to his or her death. Anyone can belay, with the exception of those under the age of 13, for insurance reasons.

An all-day climbing pass with first-time safety lesson is only $12, not including the $4 shoe and $2 harness rental.

"We work, we go to school and whenever we can find the time, we climb," Kardoulias said.

To find out more information about the hours, rates, membership or competitions at the Niagara Rock Climbing Center go to their Web site at www.niagaraclimbingcenter.com.