Defense is the name of the game for 'A-Rob'

Scoring buckets is one of the specialties of junior shooting guard Andy Robinson, or "A-Rob" to the fans. After becoming a starter last year, Robinson has made great strides to chip in a lot of points for the Bulls. But if you see Robinson on the court, you can tell he's a big fan of defense.

Ever since he started basketball in fourth grade, Robinson has been molded into a defensive specialist. Playing under coach Mark Sausville for perennial upstate-power Schenectady High School showed that defense always came first.

"He (Sausville) taught me so much. One thing he taught me was defense was the key to winning," Robinson said. "At Schenectady it's just like here at Buffalo, defense comes first."

With 85 steals over his first two seasons, it's easy to see that Sausville had a great impact on how Robinson plays the game. The consistent defense Robinson provides is a must for Head Coach Reggie Witherspoon's squad. Robinson has 11 steals so far this season.

Along with Sausville, Robinson has immense respect for his father. Robinson is quick to mention how much his parents have been there for him.

"My father taught me a lot of things. He was supportive of me and of everything I did," he said. "My mother has had a big impact on my life as well. She has raised me my whole life. I still live with her, and she has also been really supportive of me."

While in Buffalo, Robinson misses the constant support he receives from back home. With basketball taking up much of his time, he usually has to go extended periods of time without heading home.

"I definitely miss my family. Actually my younger brother is playing right now in high school. So I've missed a lot of stuff," Robinson said. "Sometimes you miss it so much that you need to take a break from basketball to get home a little bit, but then come back and get back to work."

Luckily for Robinson, he has a family right here in Buffalo; his teammates provide a source of encouragement and support when needed. Robinson hangs out with his teammates a lot while not playing basketball.

Hanging out with his teammates helps build chemistry while on the court, he said.

"If we have time we like to hang out, get a bite to eat or go watch a movie," Robinson said. "I think this builds a lot of chemistry. I think mostly this year, everyone is relatively close to everyone else's age, so there is a lot of connection there."

This season, Robinson sets an example for his teammates as one of the older ballplayers; there are only two seniors on the roster. Because Robinson is one of older players, he sometimes considers himself a coach on the court.

"I have to be more vocal and talkative this year than I've ever been," Robinson said. "I think I know what Coach 'Spoon wants out of us, so I can reach out to the guys and let them know."

Even if he tries to act like Witherspoon on the court, Robinson can't come close to being as demanding as the Head Coach. Robinson admits that Witherspoon brings the best out of the team no matter what situation.

"If we're not doing what we're suppose to be doing he'll get on us. It can be real bad, so we try to stay focused," Robinson said, seemingly aware that Coach was right behind him when he answered.

Robnson has felt the wrath of Witherspoon personally.

"I was actually in one of my slumps recently. I kind of didn't want to be (at practice), and he knew that," Robinson said. "He was two seconds away from kicking me out of practice."

Robinson could take a couple of lessons from Witherspoon, as he plans on keeping basketball in his life after college. Even if playing professionally does not work out for him, Robinson hopes to be somehow involved with the sport he loves.

"First off is basketball and trying to get to the next level. That is everyone's dream," Robinson said. "If not, I'll try to be a coach."

No matter what Robinson does after his career at Buffalo is over, he will be remembered as a Bull that puts it all on the line game-in and game-out.

"I do it all for the love of the game," he said. "I also love to see the fans come and watch us play. I love to hear the chants while I'm on the court, they really push me and my play."