Shannon living up to father's name

If anyone has ever watched the Buffalo Bulls football team, chances are they have seen a certain Bulls free safety flying around making plays all over the field. He plays like a seasoned veteran that's ready for the National Football League, but in reality, he's a true freshman that has just started his Bulls football tenure.

Davonte Shannon has a prosperous Bulls career ahead of him, and he knows it. He has some big goals set up for the rest of his time here in Buffalo.

"I'd like to be the best football player and an All-American," Shannon said. "I don't want to sound conceited, but I want to be considered the best that ever played here."

Shannon, a freshman from Jeannette, Pa., has provided All-American caliber play ever since he put on the number seven Bulls jersey. He has come to Buffalo and provided a spark to the defense, leading the defense with 77 tackles on the season. Shannon also has two interceptions and three sacks.

Before even thinking about coming to Buffalo to play football, Shannon grew up in a football-starved city in Pennsylvania. With the influence of his father, a former football player, and the entire community of Jeanette, it was easy for him to get into the sport.

"I heard a whole lot when I was growing up about my father playing football. I always had to hear about living up to my dad's name and stuff like that," he said. "Being where I'm from is a very big football town, so I just got very into it and became passionate about it."

Eventually, Shannon became a solid all-around player in Jeannette. This led to his scholarship offer from Buffalo. A couple of things were key in Shannon's decision into coming here.

"They were the only team to give me a scholarship. My parents came down for a visit, and they liked the campus and the coaches," Shannon said. "Coach Gill really made me believe that I could come in and play and have a good career here."

While playing in Jeannette, Shannon played on both offense and defense. He thrived on both sides of the ball during high school, but knew it was unlikely for him to play both positions in college.

"I did think about playing wide receiver when I came, but my heart has always been with playing defense. I always considered myself as a nasty person, so I always liked making tackles and making plays on defense," Shannon said.

Shannon started this season as a backup, but became a starter by the first home game against Baylor. He believes he did not change the way he has practiced or played ever since he became a starter, but he has seen more action.

"There weren't really that many changes," Shannon said. "Coaches focused more on my technique, and I started to get more reps in the practices."

With all the tackles Shannon has made this season, he has the stats of a linebacker. Even though he does play safety, he believes he possess the same approach linebackers contain.

"I played linebacker in high school, so I'm use to being physical and making tackles," Shannon said. "I love making tackles. It just comes naturally to me."

Shannon is not the only one in the defensive backfield that likes to make hits. Freshman cornerback Domonic Cook and sophomore safety Mike Newton also top the team in tackles. Along with sophomore cornerback Kendric Hawkins, the defensive backfield is one of the youngest in the nation.

He believes that all four form a close-knit group, which has helped them become one of the better defensive backfields in the Mid-American Conference.

"As soon as I got here, Mike and Hawkins became mentors to me. I just looked up to them as soon as I came here," Shannon said. "We hang out a lot after practice and during the weekends, so our bond is becoming very tight now."

The group has also benefited from playing top-notch receivers. While giving up a good amount of yardage to receivers earlier this season, the group was able to hold MAC leading receiver Jabari Arthur to only 39 yards.

"We have played very good receivers. We watch film on how we've done against them," Shannon said. "Each receiver we play is like a step up for us and we learn more from every receiver we play."

While playing great receivers week-in and week-out, Shannon occasionally gives up a big play. The older guys usually come in and give him tips how to handle himself on the field.

"They just tell me to keep my head up no matter what happens," he said. "No matter what happens, if I get a bad play, if I get beat or if I miss a tackle, they just tell me to keep my head up and stick with it."

While Shannon may get verbal suggestions from the older players, his play on the field might give them a few tips as well.