Chavez shows his true profession

United Nations has no room for Broadway theatrics

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez was prepared to put on quite a show at the United Nations on Wednesday. Explicitly calling Bush "the devil," he pulled out all the stops with book waving and exaggerated praying gestures. Although many anti-Bush Americans understand the sentiment, the floor of the most influential international organization is not the place for hysterically demonizing the President of the United States.

Standing at the same podium that Bush stood at the day before, Chavez gasped that the devil had been there. That the podium still smelled, demonically, like sulfur. He went on to label Bush a tyrant and racist imperialist who imposes his powers on the world.

Although it is hard to think that the Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad could be topped in demonizing Bush, Chavez made Ahmadinejad look like elegant and well-spoken, rather than the usual earsplitting jester of the international community. Wednesday's display was shocking, but the twisted round of applause that followed the zealous rant also proves why an individual like him is not thrown out on the curb for such a speech; there are Chavezes throughout the UN.

Although these theatrics may make the top 100 in YouTube video, they have no place in international relations. Next time Chavez is possessed to pull off such a stunt, let's hope the world community throws him and his rickety soapbox onto the hard pavement of the United Nations Plaza.

The Buck-y stops here

Phillips escape was mishandled by all

With the five-month search for Ralph 'Bucky' Phillips coming to an end and the months of investigation just beginning, the Police Benevolent Association and the State Police Superintendent have their work cut out for them. While investigators are looking at the accusations of inadequate planning, turf wars among police and insufficient resources, one factor of Bucky's breakout has been overlooked.

More should be done about the New York residents that aided and abetted Bucky on his 'America's Most Wanted' thrill ride. While the allegations of mismanagement are being debated and groveled over, one thing that is quite apparent is that Bucky had help on his renegade escapade. Investigation resources should bring these people to justice, because they were major contributors to the reason why Bucky was at large for so long.

In Chautauqua County a restaurant cooked up a lean-mean "Bucky Burger" to idolize the state trooper-targeting renegade; posters and signs of encouragement were strewn about stores, houses and fences for the rogue escapee; and local bars were selling "Got Bucky?" T-shirts to allow residents to flaunt the cop-shooting spirit for everyone to see. People allegedly even let Bucky sleep on their property.

Investigations and punishment will not bring back the state trooper that died in the line of duty and it won't immediately calm the countless number of terrified New York residents, but it may prevent such a horrific event from happening again. The PBA might charge certain leaders and officers with breaches in protocol and jobs may be lost, but one thing must not be ignored. People that aided and abetted are just as responsible as the law enforcement officials that were at fault.