Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Vote out apathy

The current SA race is too big for the student body to ignore

Voter apathy is a way of life for many Americans, and past Student Association elections have shown UB's students to be no different than our nation when pulling the voting booth lever. But it would be shameful for that to happen once again this year. The upcoming SA election finds four parties on the ballot, with two parties running legitimate full tickets. This hasn't happened in four years, and our hope is UB students' interest correlates to that shown by the diverse field of those seeking office.

The UB Advocates party is focusing their platform on academic issues to improve students' quality of life on campus, while the Progress party looks to infuse the student population with more school pride, to foster a collegiate atmosphere along the lines of those found at bigger schools such as West Virginia and Virginia Tech. The Have Your SAy party is only fielding presidential and vice-presidential candidates, but is looking to appeal to the university's long-neglected commuter students. And if your primary concern is health care, the UB Evolved party is for you. Its focus resides in expanding student health care on both campuses by seeking corporate partnerships.

Though history has shown the SA incumbent party tends to hold office, there is good reason to consider the other choices. UB students should do all they can to familiarize themselves with the candidates to ensure a successful election. Do some research, look into the candidates and their platforms yourself, and come out and vote. UB - and its student body - deserves nothing less.

Look for The Spectrum's election endorsements in next Monday's edition.

Queen City wish list

Buffalo Niagara partnership agenda has positive ideas for region in need

The Buffalo Niagara partnership, which for all practical purposes functions as Buffalo's chamber of commerce, released its wish list for the year, and its agenda for 2006 makes clear which projects they feel figure prominently in expanding and improving the area's commerce prospects.

Among the items listed are the partnership's economic development priorities, with goals pertaining to federal and state aid laid out in seeking $190 million for various projects. In addition, legislative initiatives linked to business growth and the community's fiscal health are outlined.

We find the partnership's focus on waterfront and downtown Buffalo development to be sound. Brian Higgins' representation of W.N.Y. in Congress means the region has a tireless advocate for waterfront development. Now is the time to secure as much federal funding as possible. There is no better time to push for the proposed downtown bridge linking the outer harbor to the rest of the city and to bring back traffic to downtown Main Street.

Expanding Erie Community College's downtown campus, which could eventually lead to a full-blown consolidation of all three campuses downtown, comes from both federal and state aid. Additional state funding for the Buffalo Niagara Medical campus's pioneering research is also sought, which makes sense, considering that the campus is one of the largest single employers in the area.

The bottom line is the partnership's efforts at facilitating business are the best hope for successful redevelopment of the region. While a "business first" attitude is not always best, their mission to better serve the area is a look into a Buffalo future worth wishing for.