Tuesday, May 21, 2024

SA election endorsements

With the election for next year's Student Association leadership starting on Tuesday, the most crowded race in years is starting to live up to its billing, as each party is expected to be campaigning heavily in the coming days.

So far, the competition hasn't spurred any major clashes, but while many students remain apathetic, some have expressed worry over various issues the election has created (see "Letters to the Editor, page 5).

And if endorsements are any indicator, the student body seems certainly to be divided. Viqar Hussain and Leslie Meister, the president and vice president candidates for UB Advocates, won nods from five of the six SA club councils, while the Progress party captured one presidential endorsement and several for treasurer and SUNY delegates, including that of The Spectrum (see "SA election endorsements," page 4).

Generation also endorsed the Progress party's Greg Stern for president and Marquis Whitmore for vice president, while supporting a mixed ticket for SUNY delegate.

At the endorsement meeting for Special Interest Service and Hobbies clubs, each party was able to address the varied groups. Michele Wood, president of Polish SA, which is a part of the International Council, said the endorsement meeting is important because most votes come from groups and clubs.

Wood added there is good reason for SA to listen to groups and clubs: clubs are often the face of SA in the community and make up a large part of its functionality.

"We do a lot for SA in the community and the UB community. There's mandatory things for clubs that benefits SA," she said.

The number of students that actually vote for the SA e-board has historically been very low. Last year, only 1,577 students voted, which is less than 10 percent of the student population. The year before that the turnout was 2,246.

Some students feel that they are unaffected by the SA elections, and therefore don't vote.

"I'm probably going to vote, but there's lots of people who won't," Conor Wellott, freshman undecided major said. "I don't think that students know much about issues, partly because they don't care and partly because they don't know. You don't know if it affects you, especially the stuff candidates are talking about."

Something that many UB students do care about are the two annual concerts sponsored by SA, Spring Fest and Fall Fest.

"I don't think that SA really listens to the students. I feel that they are corrupt," said Domenic Lanza, sophomore political science and history major. "Plus, the break with tradition on Fall Fest, which is a rap act, alienated me."

Lauren O'Shea, treasurer for the field hockey club, the UB Advocates' president and vice president seemed to have a lot of experience and good ideas. On the other hand, Robert Longtin, sophomore computer science and engineering major, said he felt that the UB Advocates seemed to go over poorly at the endorsements.

"UB Advocates had the last speeches, they seemed quite business-like and serious. I think almost right away, the majority of the SISH council was turned off by them," he said.

Longtin also said though that he wasn't sure of the effect of the club councils' nominations on the election as a whole.

"Truthfully, I don't know what their endorsement means for the elections, but I know that the clubs themselves are the bloodline of SA and their e-boards will probably influence their clubs to vote a certain way," he said.

Wood explained she had a few ideas she hoped that the winning candidate would adhere to.

"I'd love to see all of the e-board members of SA to go to the actual events, because that's what they're representing - they're representing the clubs and the students," Wood said.

Candidates have been spending a great deal of time preparing for the upcoming election for some time. Ilia Nossov and Kevin Simon make up the third ticket, running for president and vice president, respectively, under the UB Evolved party. Ryan "Moss" Yaeger and Charles Wiff are aiming for the same seats with their Have Your SAy party.

"I've been preparing for elections this entire year. Working with the administration to lay the groundwork for next year," Meister, the UB Advocates' vice presidential hopeful, said. "We have been working to get the UB Advocates' name out across campus through talking with students and flyering."

Yaeger of the Have Your SAy said he has spent the last week a little differently.

"The election process thus far has been somewhat trying, as I lost my running mate (for personal reasons) early last week and spent the week finding a new candidate," Yaeger said. "I have spent the last week trying to complete my ticket, and will spend early next week hanging flyers, talking to people, and getting the word out."

He also announced that his new running mate would be Charles Wiff.

Meister echoed the sentiments of many of the people involved in the election process: that the only way for students to get a good SA executive board was by actually going out to vote.

"My party and my (own) hard work will only pay off if the students make their voices heard and vote on March 28th-30th," Meister said. "It's very important that students take a part in an organization which they are all a part of."