Fun in the sun

The Student Union lobby was rockin' with the soothing sounds of UB40's "Red, Red Wine" on Wednesday afternoon at the first annual beach volleyball event sponsored by the Student Programming Board.

Participants and bystanders enjoyed free food, two tons of sand, and a chance to lose themselves in a summer atmosphere not often seen this time of year in Western New York.

"We've had lots of people come down between classes and grab something to eat for lunch," said Rachel Lerner, a graduate student affairs administration major, who helped organize the event. "This makes school better for the students, and they can have fun between classes. It also keeps them on campus."

The volleyball court was set up to accommodate games of one-on-one, which suited seniors Bradley Maleh and Sarawar Hasan just fine. The two were seen playing a mean game, complete with all the requisite bumping, setting, and spiking in a competitive lunch hour volleyball match.

Maleh, who took the fair-weather activity to heart, found himself shoeless with sand between his feet, holding an oversized volleyball in the middle of the Student Union in February.

"We love denying reality. Not the Buffalo winter, but reality," said Maleh, a classics major.

Hasan, who was captain of his high school volleyball team, said he hadn't played in over three years but was excited to test out his skills in the Student Union game.

"They should have these volleyball events more often," said Hasan, a mechanical and aerospace engineering major.

Other students, like Brian Marsh, a freshman physics major, said the free food drew him in, as he leisurely ate his second hot dog and took in the surroundings.

"Any event is a good event," Marsh said.

Lerner said she was happy to provide an outlet for the students, even going so far as to haul dirt around the court and sand castle area at 8:30 a.m. that morning.

"I love doing this and seeing happy students," Lerner said. "I guess that's why I'm going to make this my career."

Susan Wolff, a senior health and human services major, also helped keep the court in prime condition throughout the day.

"I'm doing my best, it's quite the challenge," Wolff said. "You wouldn't think squishing sand between your toes in winter is fun, but it is."