Engineering gets Extroverted at Extravaganza

Rocket launches, gooey gak, fire fighting robots, and bubbling ice cream were the highlights of the second annual Engineering Extravaganza held on Sunday in the Student Union Lobby.

Nine UB engineering clubs designed various interactive exhibits as basic introductions for participants of all ages into each club's respective field of expertise.

The clubs represented included the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, the American Society of Civil Engineers, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Automotive Engineers, the Society of Hispanic and Professional Engineers, the Society of Women Engineers, and UB Robotics.

One of the most popular demonstrations was UB Robotics' firefighter robot that autonomously sought out and extinguished a candle hidden in a maze.

Club vice president Stefan Zickler, a junior cognitive science major, said that even with the modest attendance, the extravaganza was a success.

"I think more publicity would have really helped the event, but we really have an opportunity to showcase what we do to the community, UB, and to each other," he said.

Melissa Chow, a junior chemical engineering major, helped represent the Society of Women Engineers, whose "Make Your Own Gak" project, which let participants create a gooey toy substance, was hit it big with the crowd.

"Its really great that we get to see what all the other clubs are up to," said Chow, "because we are so often focused on our own projects, we don't get to see what other students are doing until Engineering Week (in February)."

The American Association of Chemical Engineers prepared and served ice cream by mixing common household ingredients such as cream, vanilla and strawberry jam with an ingredient not found in most kitchens - liquid nitrogen. The ensuing mixture formed a bubbling witches' brew that turned into a tasty frozen treat reminiscent of a Wendy's frosty.

"With really crowd pleasing displays like the robots and the ice cream, we're able to reach out to people who really don't notice how interesting engineering can be," said the association's president, Mike Dray, a senior chemical engineering student.

Not all the clubs represented at the extravaganza had such visible demonstrations. The Society of Hispanic and Professional Engineers were at the Extravaganza mainly to educate those in attendance about their club.

"We're not so much an activity based engineering club as a professional club," said Felix Castro, secretary and senior finance major. "We do more career building and are a resource for not only engineers, but all majors. We want to help engineers and any other students succeed."

The club that made (quite literally) the loudest bang of all the clubs was the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, whose rocket launching demonstration drew many spectators.

Frank Centillo, the association's president and senior Aeronautical Engineering student, said the extravaganza was great for the image of engineering.

"The one thing about this sort of thing is that kids are either really interested, or not at all. Fortunately this year people really seem to be interested," he said.

Spectators were equally enthused about the various demonstrations. Jason Hoffman, a Student Registered Nurse of Anesthetics graduate student, brought his wife, Kim, and four-year-old daughter, Madilyn, to the event.

"I was studying up in Lockwood, and I happen to see the fair in the Union, so I called up my wife and had her bring Madilyn to the Union," he said, "I really think this sort of thing is a great way to reach out to kids and show them what science and engineering can do that is fun."

Kim Hoffman agreed.

"Having actual college students demonstrating what they are learning really sticks with kids," she said.

Madylin, who was still excited after launching her first rocket, said she liked everything at the carnival, but had a particular favorite.

"I liked the Gak," she said.