'RITOS:' A Ritual Performance

In conjunction with National Hispanic month and UB's Gender Week, the Center for the Arts and the International Artistic and Cultural Exchange Program (IACE) of the Department of Theater and Dance will be presenting Rafael Ruiz' "Ritos," the 2001 winner of the renowned Mariana Pineda theatre competition.

Produced by the Universidad de Granada Theatre Company, located in Spain, the group will complete its residency with UB tonight with a 7 p.m. performance of "Ritos" in the CFA Black Box Theater. The play, which is performed entirely in Spanish, also opens the IACE's 2003-04 international season. The performance will be followed by a bilingual question and answer session with the author/director and cast.

The play, the title of which translates to "rituals" in English, shows the strength of women in times of adversity and suffering under the stereotypes and biases in Spain. The play may cater to women and Hispanics, but it does not alienate the men or other races.

"It is a play done by women, about women, for women," says Rafael Ruiz, author and director of the play. "The goal is also to reach the male audience. So, men and women alike can be seen reflected."

"It is an opportunity to see international theater, to be exposed to international theatre. It is a reflection of culture in their native language of Spanish. It is truly an artistic cultural exchange," said Maria Horne, associate professor of theater and dance and the founding director of the IACE.

The story revolves around the death of the central authoritarian male figure and the women's reactions and subsequent lives, under the influence of traditional, cultural and societal demands.

Magarita Vargas, associate professor of Spanish, gave a series of presentations on the brief history of the southern Andalusian region before the arrival of the theater group earlier this week.

The concept of the play is conceived from the observation of real life in Andalusia and performed in their native language.

"From observing, studying and listening to surroundings, the vocabulary, the phrases themselves, the idioms in the play, are taken from real life and from the language that is used daily from Andalusia," said Ruiz. "This is the language that our mothers and our grandmothers use."

"Ritos" will be performed tonight 7 p.m. in the Black Box Theater of the CFA. The event is free and open to the public. Seating is limited and tickets will be available at the door one hour prior to the show.