X Marks The Spot

Avenue X at Musicalfare

At any time and in any neighborhood, the dynamics of diversity can strengthen or tarnish the power of the people who live in it. "Avenue X," with the help of four UB students, showcases how the human spirit endures against ignorance and racism.

A co-production of Amherst's Musicalfare Theatre Company and Buffalo's Paul Robeson Theatre, "Avenue X" shows how the universal language of music plays an integral part in the lives of its characters, as well as the actors playing them.

a capella

UB students make up half of the cast, which includes actors from both theater companies. Leon M. Hicks, a sophomore political science major, and Daniel Korzelius, a senior musical theatre major, play the central roles of Milton and Pasquale, respectively.

As two characters from opposite sides of the racial fence, Milton and Pasquale create a melody for themselves and harmony for those around them.

Milton, an African-American from one side of the street, lives with his parents, the spiritually steadfast Julia (Mary Craig), and stern Roscoe (Michael L. Gibson, Sr.). He finds Pasquale, another aspiring singer, practicing in the sewers - where both have discovered the acoustics are better.

Pasquale is looking for a fourth member of his singing group, which includes his best friend Chuck, played by Adam Zelasko, a sophomore musical theatre major. While he and Milton meet artistically, they find that socially, their lives are too different for real collaboration.

Chuck has his eyes set on Pasquale's feisty sister Barbara, played by Sally Schwab, a junior musical theatre major. Ubazz, the fourth member of the Italian group (Derek Joseph Higgins) and Milton's Jamaican friend Winston (George L. Brown), provide comic relief as well as some spiritually profound moments.

Reminiscent of boy-and-girl doo-wop groups of the time, the music and lyrics by Ray Leslee and John Jiler make the corner stoops and kitchen tables of Avenue X's homes appear like everyone's own, exposing the social, if not racial, ignorance present in all people.

Korzelius and Hicks' characters are not only powerfully youthful, but innately mature and sophisticated. They both have their fair share of ignorance, but are open-minded enough to notice when enough is enough.

"It's a very definite time and place," said Korzelius, of the specific mood of the show. "Race is always an issue, though."

"It takes place in 1963, before all the riots," Kramer said. "It's when the 60s were closer to the 50s than they were to the 60s. Kennedy gets shot, and within a year or two, it all changes. Things are never going to be the same."

Employing students is somewhat new to Kramer and Musicalfare. As part of their work on the show, the four UB students receive a stipend and internship credit from their departments. Although seven of the eight actors are making their Musicalfare debut with "Avenue X," three of the UB students have already performed professionally.

Hicks was a regular at the Paul Robeson Theatre in past seasons, while Korzelius has performed at the Kavinoky Theatre and with O'Connell and Company. Zelasko made his Artpark debut last summer, performing in three shows.

This is Schwab's first production outside the educational arena and she's enjoying the opportunity for increased responsibility as an actress.

"In the past two-and-a-half years, I've been [in the] ensemble ... this is the first time in a while I have had a solo, which is nice." Schwab said. "It's so great working with different people. At this time in my life, it's been so great to learn and grow artistically."

Working outside of school adds pressure to their already demanding schedules. Korzelius, Schwab and Zelasko all have leading roles in the theatre and dance department's upcoming April production of "A Chorus Line." Korzelius notes the importance of both classroom and outside work as an all-around benefit to his education.

"As much as I believe in the educational part of it - the book work, the studying, all of that - theater is doing, it's an active process," Korzelius said. "There's always something you can take from every show."

For a show like "Avenue X," where exploring the complexities of racism and ignorance demand a certain kind of emotional balance, each student is in it for the same reason: the love of acting.

"I do as much as I can, as long as I can stay sane," Korzelius said. "And as long as I'm doing theater, I'm sane."

Those involved in "Avenue X" are fulfilling Kramer's goal of making local history for cross-cultural collaboration and maintaining a high quality standard with each consecutive performance.

"I simply hope that this show will spark discussion, that people will go home and talk about it," Kramer said. "Nothing more than that, but nothing less."