Tuesday, May 07, 2024

"Celebrating the Holidays, Student-Style"

Some students celebrating the various wintertime holidays this year will be partaking in traditional events and familial celebrations, while others will be spending time with friends and taking advantage of the time off from school. No matter what the holiday, though, most students have plans on how to spend this holiday season.

"Me and my mom and dad and sister, every night, do the standard lighting candles and opening presents thing. And then, other than that, each side of our family has a big holiday party," said John Gutman, a senior computer art major, who celebrates Hanukkah.

Gutman said he usually snowboards on Christmas day, since the slopes are usually empty.

Alex Santiago, a junior management information systems major, said his long-standing Christmas traditions will continue this year.

"First we open the presents, and then we have a big family breakfast and then have dinner. We got out to Rockefeller Center and look at the tree, and we go skating in Central Park," he said.

Over the Winter Recess, Santiago said he will be working in construction.

While some students, like Santiago, will find jobs over the break, others will be using the time off from school as an opportunity to relax.

"It's a month off where I get to do nothing. Over the summer you're expected to work, but over winter break you're not," said Dave Meehan, a senior mechanical engineer, who celebrates Christmas with both family and friends.

"The last couple of years I've gone out with my friends after a stressful day of putting up with the entire family," said Meehan.

While some may escape from their families as quickly as possible, others see the holidays as a time to bond with relatives.

"My mom goes all out with decorations, and my dad gets really into the Christmas spirit. The night before Christmas, my dad brings books out and reads to my sister," said Shane Jones, a senior English major. "My sister arranges a display of cookies and milk and leaves them out for Santa Claus, and she draws pictures, too."

Jones said this is a tradition that has trickled down through his brother and himself to his 8-year-old sister.

"In my family, the first night we make the latkes (potato pancakes), we light the menorah and everything. For me, it's hard because I'm not at home. When I'm up here I celebrate by myself," said Marnie Levine, a junior history major.

Levine said that although she does not get to spend the bulk of Hanukkah with her family, she does not mind too much because "Hanukkah is not the top priority for holiday celebration."

"It bothers me for other holidays, like Passover and Rosh Hashanah. Even though we have one day off, I can't fly home for one day, and those are the holidays with the big dinners and stuff," she said.

Even those students who are not especially religious follow in some of the traditions of their faith.

"I light the candles, we don't give presents," said Ella Kazdoy, a senior international studies major. "We're not really traditional to begin with, we don't really follow traditions. We're not really close to the faith but we follow some of the niceties."

Todd Rezsnyak, a junior political science major, said he celebrates Christmas because it is a family tradition, but would not otherwise.

"I don't think I deserve to get gifts for someone whom I never met and will never meet being born about 3,000 years before my time and who, I feel, has no impact on my life," said Rezsnyak.

Despite varying traditions and practices over religious holidays, most students agree that partying is the way to go on New Year's Eve.

"New Year's, actually, I'm having a formal gala at my house because if I don't have a party we won't do anything," said Mark Cornell, a junior communication major. Cornell said he expects about 50 to 75 people at his house this year.

Cosmin Banciu, a junior majoring in computer science and engineering, will also be throwing a party this year and "inviting lots of friends."

"I will be seeing all my high school friends and hanging out in New York City," he said.

Those not throwing their own fiesta will be partying with friends to ring in the New Year.

"We're probably going to come back here and go down to Chippewa or something, because I imagine the night life on Chippewa is much more interesting than in a small town," said Meehan.

"My friends and I go out and get drunk for as long as I can remember," said Mike Quigley, a junior exercise science major.