Tuesday, May 14, 2024

George Harrison / Paul McCartney

Brainwashed / Back In The U.S.: Live 2002

**** out of 5 stars / ** out of 5 stars

Two deceased Beatles are releasing albums in the next week. But while George Harrison's expiration is physical, musically-dead Paul McCartney has only the stale recycling of old hits to account for the lack of inspiration on his latest album.

McCartney's "Back In The U.S.," a dual-CD set of live concert performances, does have its good moments. "Your Loving Flame," "We Can Work It Out" and "Carry That Weight" all take the listener captive to McCartney's act.

The first CD, on which all these tunes are found, is the highlight of the album, despite the fact that the Beatles' more popular songs are featured on the second.

The second disc's "Let It Be" and "Hey Jude" feel rehashed, as if McCartney is only performing them to satisfy the screaming fans that can also be heard on every track. It would make sense if there was more of McCartney's solo material on the CD, as opposed to the voluminous amounts of Beatles hits that grace the album. It must be tough for McCartney, having to cater to those aging fans that come to his shows primarily to hear music he's been playing for decades.

Harrison's "Brainwashed" is another story. Harrison was working on its completion when he died last year, and unlike McCartney's "Back In The U.S.," "Brainwashed" showcases all the unique talents of its performer.

"Brainwashed" is primarily composed of new material, though it also features "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea." The newer compositions shine. Harrison's lyrics, while not exactly catchy, provoke contemplation and thought. The influence of Indian musical forms is obvious on "Marwa Blues" and other tracks.

"Stuck Inside a Cloud" is the first track that will be played on the radio, and it's a laid-back, easy contemplation of a life Harrison's lyrics imply he will remember, but never regret: "I made some exhibition/I lost my will to eat/The only thing that matters to me is to/Touch your lotus feet." "Stuck" is ultimately a love song infused with deeper reflection, primarily evident in the easy sweep of the music itself.

Harrison's final musical journey is definitely the stronger of the two and it's too bad McCartney has continued to recycle old hits instead of moving on, like his former bandmate.