Special Teams Not So Special as Bulls Lose a Wild One

You name it, this game had it. A blocked punt, a punt return touchdown, big sacks, interceptions, fumbles, interceptions AND fumbles on the same play, and even the devouring of a UB cheerleader by one "Clammy Sosa."

And only a measly 8,112 in attendance got to see an actually entertaining Buffalo home game.

Turnover madness erupted at UB Stadium Saturday afternoon with the Buffalo Bulls and Western Michigan Broncos combining for a total of nine turnovers in WMU's 31-17 victory over UB.

Special team's breakdowns contributed greatly to Buffalo's demise as they fell behind 24-3 in the third quarter.

"Western Michigan deserved to win this game today," said Bulls Head Coach Jim Hofher. "Our guys did a great job creating a bunch of turnovers, and Western Michigan did as well - a couple of them in special teams. It's obviously very disappointing giving up a touchdown on a punt return, to get a punt blocked and get a personal foul on a punt (block attempt). Those are really powerful plays in a game, any one of which could have changed the outcome."

"We had some breakdowns, but that stuff we can definitely fix," Dave Dawson, a redshirt freshman tailback said. "We had a lot of new guys on special teams and the guys were a little beat up, and we definitely need some work."

UB quarterback Randall Secky, who was 17-36 with 136 yards and a touchdown, was sacked on a third and one play for a loss. On fourth down, Buffalo's punt was blocked, leading to the first of the Broncos two back-to-back touchdowns.

"We have got to put ourselves in a position where we don't have to rally," said Secky.

WMU wide receiver Kendrick Mosley then seemingly delivered the knockout punch to UB as he ran back a Scott McMahan punt 64 yards for a demoralizing touchdown and 21-point lead.

"You always look for that one thing - where does it come from that lets you win. Today for us, probably, it was special teams," said Broncos' Head Coach Gary Darnell. "The special teams really put us in position three or four times."

On Western Michigan's next possession, the Broncos looked to drive the final nail into the Bulls coffin. They were on the Buffalo six-yard line when WMU quarterback Jon Drach's pass was intercepted in the endzone by UB's Mike Lambert, who took the ball 87 yards down the field to the Western Michigan 13-yard line.

"It was a terrific play by Lambert, and a pretty gutsy response," said Hofher.

However, Bulls' running back Aaron Leeper coughed it up on the next play and the Broncos recovered the ball back on their own one-yard line.

"I can promise you Aaron Leeper didn't intend on fumbling the ball," said Hofher. "There are things that a guy has to do to squeeze the ball and in that case either he didn't or the opponent made a good play."

Leeper ran 14 times for 58 yards before being removed because of his fumbling.

UB took advantage of a defensive stop and forced Western Michigan to punt the ball away.

There were some anxious moments on the Bulls drive as the Broncos' Scott Robinson intercepted Secky. Luckily for Buffalo, Robinson fumbled the ball and the Bulls' Azaam Stallsworth recovered it, resulting in a UB first down.

Coming in for Leeper, Dawson took control of the drive going for 34 total yards including a 4-yard touchdown dash.

Special teams once again failed the Bulls as kicker Dallas Pelz missed the extra point, making the score only 24-9.

"We miss a PAT two weeks in a row," said Hofher. "Shouldn't happen, not when we kick a 28-yarder earlier in the game."

UB's Dahnel Singfield forced WMU running back Philip Reed to fumble on the subsequent drive and Gemara Williams recovered it, giving the Bulls offense a chance to cut into the lead once again.

That they did as Secky drove Buffalo to the Western Michigan 9-yard line and connected with Maurice Bradford for a touchdown strike. UB was successful on the two-point conversion as Secky hit Andre Forde in the end zone making the score 24-17.

That was as close as Buffalo would come, though, as Forde fumbled away a punt he was attempting to catch and the Bulls couldn't get anything going on the ensuing drive after that, going three and out.

The Broncos essentially laid UB to rest as they made the score 31-17 with Chad Munson, the other of the two interchangeable WMU quarterbacks, throwing a 40-yard pass to Mosley for a touchdown.

Buffalo had one more chance at the end but could not stop the Bronco's offense, who started from their own one yard line with 8:35 left in the game. Impressively, WMU converted three third down plays and drained all eight minutes and thirty-five seconds from the clock and ended the game.

"I think you saw guys fight hard again against one of the better teams in our conference," said Hofher. "But as I told the fellas, what we see in the upcoming weeks will be just like that. That's what our league is. We've just got to keep working, and we will."

Phil Reed came up huge for the Broncos, running 29 times for 142 yards and a touchdown along with three receptions for 37 yards.

WMU's two-headed quarterback attack combined for a 23-40 day with 283 yards and two touchdowns.

Buffalo's Chad Bartoszek added five receptions for 26-yards to his season totals while replacement running back Dawson gained 50 yards on seven carries, good for a 7.1 yard average.

UB ventures to Marshall Stadium next Saturday for a 7 p.m. game against Marshall and Heisman hopeful quarterback Byron Leftwich.