Bulls Offense Derails in the Teeth of Huskie Defense

Anemic. If there was one word to describe the offense of the Buffalo Bulls football team on Saturday night that would be it.

A home crowd of 17,012 at UB Stadium was put into a comatose state, as the Bulls simply couldn't generate any offense throughout the night, falling 24-3 to the Connecticut Huskies. Buffalo, who fell to 1-2 on the season, was consistently cut down by the UConn's buzz saw-like defense. The Huskies picked up their first win in 2002 after losing tough opening games to Boston College and Georgia Tech.

Although the final score was 24-3, it was hard to blame the defense for this debacle. Buffalo's defense played admirably for the majority of the game, shutting down UConn early and often. The Huskies held a paltry 3-0 lead at halftime. Things unraveled late for them however, but for a unit on the field for nearly 35 minutes it was hard to find them at fault.

The loss left the Bulls stinging as they fell short of their goal to become the first UB team to have a winning record since the program returned to Division I-A in 1998. An above .500 record was certainly an attainable goal considering UB defeated UConn on the road last season 37-20.

"It's certainly disappointing," said Bulls Head Coach Jim Hofher. "Connecticut played very hard and played very tough and caused a lot of our lack of production, but I'm sure we also contributed ourselves with self-inflicted wounds which had been uncharacteristic by this team up to this point."

"We have to go back and look at ourselves," said Buffalo offensive left tackle Jeff Mills. "I think they wanted it more tonight and they proved it, they hit us in the mouth and that's about all it comes down to."

While the Huskies were able to rack up 429 yards of total offense, UB was only able to muster a paltry 168.

"I think it was an outstanding effort by the defense to keep fighting all the way until the end of the game," said UConn strong safety Chris Meyer. "I think the defense was undoubtedly, phenomenally conditioned and I think it showed tonight."

Buffalo quarterback Randall Secky, under pressure for most of the night, was erratic connecting on 11-31 passes with 123 yards. These numbers, coming only a week after shining bright at Rutgers, were certainly a letdown.

"Quarterbacks still have to deal with a little bit of duress," said Hofher. "I don't recall any gross sacks, but he did have to move around some tonight, [and] that kind of goes along with the job description."

Aaron Leeper, also coming off a huge game with 153 yards rushing, came crashing down to earth with only 52 yards on 19 carries.

"We certainly didn't get the same production this week in the running game, which is partly the runner, partly the blockers and partly the opponent," said Hofher. "We certainly didn't get as much production."

Where Secky and Leeper struggled, Connecticut's Dan Orlovsky and Terry Caulley excelled.

Caulley, a true freshman running back, knifed through the Bulls defense for 176 yards of offense, including 136 on the ground.

"I thought Terry did the things that I thought he could do, over 100 yards, he gave us a spark," said UConn Head Roach Randy Edsall.

The Huskies' sophomore quarterback, Orlovsky, was also able to find success, completing 18 of 29 passes for 242 yards, including a 50-yard touchdown strike to tight end Tommy Collins giving the Huskies a 17-3 lead.

UB was not finished off just yet though, as it still had a chance to make something happen with eight minutes remaining on the clock.

Disaster struck again for the Bulls as Secky was picked off on the first play of the ensuing drive by Roy Hopkins. As demoralization set in for UB, it was simply elementary for the Huskies to nail the coffin shut.

Following the interception Orlovsky punctuated his performance by capping off UConn's final scoring drive. The 6'5" 228 pound QB took the ball from the Buffalo 13-yard line and dashed into the end zone, diving over Bulls defenders at the goal line for a thrilling touchdown.

"Dan Orlovsky with the 4.5-40 getting into the end zone, that was good to see him take the ball and finally run it," Edsall said.

Penalties were also a major factor in the game. UB consistently hurt themselves with senseless mistakes, racking up 11 penalties for 86 yards.

"It's something you have to eliminate, we just kept shooting ourselves in the foot," said Mills. "It was kind of a snowball effect, it would seem like we would get one holding and then something else would happen."

UB will venture to the Metrodome in Minneapolis, Minn. this weekend to battle with a Big 10 opponent for the first time since 1901. Buffalo takes on the 3-0 Minnesota Golden Gophers at 1:30 Saturday.