Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Bulls Hope to Make More Headlines Against Ohio

The front-page headline is still taped to the calendar at Miss Pam's (the football office secretary) desk "UB 44, Ohio 0." It serves as a reminder of what happens when the Bulls play 60 minutes of solid football.

Last November's blowout at UB Stadium was a tremendous achievement for the UB football program. Head Coach Jim Hofher earned his first MAC win, and the team established a new school record by allowing just two passing yards.

That was last year.

The Bulls (1-3) are on a two game losing streak after disappointing defeats to UConn and Big Ten powerhouse Minnesota, while the Bobcats (0-4) have gone 10 games without a win, dating back to last October.

" Are we below expectations? It doesn't matter about expectations," said Hofher. "We'd like to be 4-0, making us no different than any other team in America. We've played a pretty tough schedule and don't necessarily have the wins to show for it; but last week I left the field feeling good about what our team can do."

Yes, Ohio is 0-4 and has only scored four touchdowns all year, but don't think for a second this will be an easy win for UB. In their last three meetings at Ohio, UB has been outscored 137-26. In fact, Peden Stadium is a field Buffalo has not won on in over fifty years. The Bulls have also never had a victory in the MAC on the road.

The game can be seen as a potential re-birth for one of these squads. Both are opening their MAC portions of the season and a win would give a much-needed push. The East Division, which both programs are members of, is still wide open. Three out of seven teams remain winless and only one squad is over .500. Bottom line, it is still anybody's ball game.

"This game is a great opportunity and we have something to prove," said Ohio Head Coach Brian Knorr. "MAC play is like a brand new season and whoever wins this will get off to a great start."

Ohio runs a flexbone formation on offense and a 3-4 set on defense, as opposed to last season's 4-3. It is a defense that UB has yet to see and will be extremely dangerous. The Bobcats are ranked first in the MAC and 21st in the nation in total defense.

"The 3-4 is unlike anything our team has come across," Buffalo quarterback Randall Secky said. "Ohio runs a team zone blitz and will certainly be a challenge to our linemen."

The key to the game will be how well UB can run the ball. Redshirt freshman running back Aaron Leeper, who is boasting a 4.0 yards per carry average, will once again get most if not all of the carries with senior Marquis Dwarte still out of commission with a shoulder injury. Hofher agreed on Tuesday that Dwarte's season is in jeopardy.

One of the bright sports for UB is their protection of the football. The Bulls have not forced a turnover in two games but are still plus-3 because of Secky. The sophomore has thrown just two interceptions in 131 attempts (one in every 65.5 passes). Over the past 55 games, Bulls quarterbacks have thrown 80 interceptions (one in 23.4).

All the ball protection in the world may not help when two of the nation's leaders in interceptions square off. Ohio's Bop White currently ranks second in the nation with four interceptions in four games, while Buffalo's Mark Graham, who returns this week from a hip injury suffered against Minnesota is 12th nationally with three picks in three games.

Both teams have struggled on third down conversions all season. UB and Ohio run neck and neck with 27 percent and 28 percent success rates respectively. For Buffalo, this stat is a telling source of their woes - when you eliminate their 34-11 romp over Rutgers, the percentage shrinks to a miserable 18.6 percent (8 for 43).

The Bobcats' offense can be described as shaky at best with Dontrell Jackson and Fred Ray sharing QB duties. The two have combined to go 31-63 for 267 yards with no touchdowns and nine interceptions. Their success lies on the shoulders of running back Chad Brinker who has 387 yards on 80 carries. After missing most of 2001 with season-ending brain surgery, Brinker has returned to lead the team in rushing in three games and has scored three of the Bobcats' four touchdowns.

With Leeper attacking on the ground, UB will rely on the tandem of Secky and wide receiver Andre Forde to lead the aerial assault. Forde leads Buffalo in receiving (20 catches for 279 yards) and touchdowns (5). On the national level he is third in all-purpose yardage (183.5 ypg) and 17th in punt return average (16.0 ypr).

"We have developed a real chemistry, it's always good to know there's a receiver I can look for out there," said Secky.

News & Notes

The Bulls are looking to start 1-0 in conference play for the second time since moving to Division I-A. Buffalo beat Bowling Green 20-17 in 2000, which was their first MAC and Division I-A win. UB will attempt to get its first road victory in the MAC since joining the conference in 1999

Buffalo is 0-3 this season when losing the time of possession battle. Conversely they are 1-0 when they dominate ball possession. UB is also winless when the opposing team runs more offensive plays.