Help Keeps Coming to Laundry Theft Victim

Fundraising efforts to assist Tammy Milillo, a UB senior with cerebral palsy, replace $400 worth of her clothing stolen on Feb. 8 from the Clinton Hall laundry room, have raised over $1,100 and are still going strong.

"I honestly never thought in a million years that if they held a fundraiser that I would get this kind of response," said Milillo, a chemistry major.

The stolen clothes were specially fitted with slide hooks and Velcro because Milillo, who is confined to a wheelchair, cannot fasten standard buttons on jeans and other clothing.

She originally posted signs in Clinton Hall asking that the clothes be returned. When they were not, freshman Matt Thomas, who did not know Milillo but had seen the signs, decided to organize a fundraiser.

"The only thing I did get back was the Eeyore fleece that my brother gave me for Christmas," said Milillo. "They didn't return anything else."

Milillo said she was especially thankful the particular shirt was returned because of its sentimental value. Her 23-year-old brother was recently diagnosed with cancer.

"It was a Christmas present and I don't know if there will be anymore Christmases," said Milillo. The fleece was left in the laundry room from which it was taken.

"Obviously, this person is making an active decision to hold the rest of the clothes back," said Thomas, a music major. "I'm confused as to why this person is being so selfish."

Thomas said that although he had never spoken to Milillo, he had seen the signs she posted and knew who she was.

"I read the signs. I saw her in the Student Union and went up to her and asked if she got her clothes back," said Thomas. When she told him they had not been, Thomas decided to help her raise the money to buy new clothes.

According to Thomas, over $925 was collected from the Governors complex after he and eight of his friends went door-to-door last Thursday.

Additional contributions have come from students, parents, professors and other members of the UB community who have contacted him.

"I was really amazed at how many people stepped-up and helped out," said Thomas. "Everyone was so generous. People seemed pretty pissed about the situation."

Since the money needed to replace her clothing has already been raised, Milillo and Thomas have been telling contributors that their money will be directed toward another cause.

"People are already giving too much. Any extra money is going towards my brother's treatment, so it will be well spent," said Milillo.

Milillo said she has already replaced much of the clothing and two people have offered to tailor them to fit her needs.

"[My mother] feels much better especially because people are willing to alter them," said Milillo. "She is extremely happy because even though I had gotten money for the clothes, and bought the clothes, I had no one to alter them."

In addition to giving money, many people have donated clothing to Milillo's cause.

"If I could get a whole bunch of old clothes and I can't possibly wear them all, they're all going to charity," said Milillo. She said the clothes would either go to a Catholic charity or a homeless shelter.

Even though Milillo has received more than enough money to replace her clothes, students are still calling to donate. Next week, members of the Sigma Chi Omega fraternity will be holding a fundraiser to raise money and gather clothes for Milillo.

"I was really upset about that article (in The Spectrum). It made me really angry to see something like that happen," said senior Chris O'Connor, a Sigma Chi Omega member. "It's just a terrible thing. Her life is hard as it is. It's just not right."

O'Connor said he and his fraternity brothers are planning to put up flyers and have collection points along the academic spine, as well as go door-to-door in the Ellicott complex. Each of the brothers is also going to make a contribution.

"I think that is really cool and it will help to blow over this whole thing the fraternities are going through," said Milillo, referring to the recent upset over suspected fraternity involvement in deaths at Alfred University and UB.

Milillo said she hopes all the attention she has received will make people aware and think twice about stealing.