Injured Athletes Receive Top-Notch Care

As a star on UB's varsity women's basketball team, Mari McClure had to maintain a high standard of play at all times, but there was one thing that got in the way; McClure has degenerative arthritis in both of her knees.

"It would get worse the more I played," said McClure, one of UB's top women scorers last year, "it made it difficult to practice and play."

When McClure first found out about her chronic ailment, she was given the choice as to whether or not she would continue playing. As a scholarship athlete, McClure initially wondered if she would lose her financial support from UB if she decided to quit.

"I never had to worry about it," says McClure. "In fact, I was told right up front that [UB] would support me either way, both my decision and scholarship."

"Injury is not grounds for anyone to lose a scholarship," said UB Director of Athletics Bob Arkeilpane. "We stick by our athletes throughout their injuries and recoveries." Arkeilpane said scholarship reductions and revocations are not even considered in the case of injury.

Arkeilpane's statement goes a long way to dispel any financial fears an injured athlete might have, but UB's assistance is not only monetary. Trainers and physicians are on hand and UB has a full-scale training facility to accommodate and treat injured athletes.

"We offer very individual treatment for our athletes," said Sue Locke, UB athletics head trainer. Injured athletes often require specialized treatments according to their injuries. Locke said team trainers and physicians are accessible for this specialized care, and that facilities are always available for the needs of student athletes.

"I received day to day treatment with the trainers," said McClure. "You could always get help from people during the day."

One of the goals of the athletic department is to establish a personal relationship with its athletes according to Paul Vecchio, assistant athletic director for communications. "No two kids are alike," said Vecchio, "every case is individual."

The physical training department at UB is highly experienced. Although this is Locke's first year as head trainer, she already has 14 years of experience as UB's trainer for women's basketball, as well as other sports.

"[The trainers] are there to encourage or support the athlete," said Locke. "We try to keep it upbeat, try to keep the athlete focused on the day to day treatments."

McClure agreed with Locke's assessment of the program. "The trainers are really knowledgeable," she said. "They knew I needed to find other ways of practicing without harming my knees, and they did."

Arkeilpane said the university tries to provide top-notch support and treatment for all of its athletes. According to Arkeilplane, trainers are on hand for all the varsity sports, and physicians are available as needed. Arkeilpane also said UB would call in specialists that might not be on campus whenever an injured athlete requires specialized attention, ensuring even more coverage.

"I would say we can match or better any other Division I school in that department," said Arkeilpane. "Our number one goal is to restore an athlete to 100 percent health, then get them back out on the field."