Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Where to meet people and where to avoid people

So you're looking to meet someone in Buffalo and don't know where to start. It's not that surprising; UB's a big place, and Buffalo's an even bigger city. Whether you're looking for a significant other, someone to date or just someone to share a night (or two if they're lucky) with, it can be overwhelming to jump in head first.

Fear not, there are good places to meet people in Buffalo. Unfortunately, there are also horrible places to meet people.

Bad Idea: anywhere you go to get drunk food

There are so many reasons why you should never, ever, attempt to instigate a conversation with someone you might want to take home at a drunk food place. For one, you're probably obliterated; the person you're talking to most likely isn't in great mental shape either. Ever hear the expression, "if she's a two at 10, she'll be a 10 at two?" You'll find out just how true it is if you snag a girl at Uhots.

Yeah, chicken finger garbage plates are great and you might connect with someone over your shared love for them at 3 a.m., but don't expect to keep that connection in the morning.

Good Idea: in class

If there's a cutie in your class you keep eyeing (and hopefully she's eyeing you back), take a chance, go up and introduce yourself. Suggest you become study partners, ask for help on an assignment or, if you're a real smart guy, offer to tutor her.

Even if the two of you don't end up clicking on a romantic (or sexual) level, that doesn't mean you can't be friends. At the very least, you just found yourself a study partner.

Bad Idea: douche-y bars

This isn't about all bars. Some bars are actually great places to meet people who are actually interested in what you have to say (as much as they are interested in seeing you naked).

That being said, there are bars around Buffalo that you have a .05 percent chance of meeting someone who you'll have romantic feelings for. I don't think this needs to be said, but Mojos and Northside are strictly places for getting your groove on.

The Steer, after the new renovation, is basically just the 21-plus Northside. You might meet your next paramour in line for the unisex bathrooms but not your future girlfriend.

Here's a tip on how to realize when you're in a douche-y bar. Take a quick survey of the room. If 50 percent of the guys have blowouts or if 50 percent of the girls have more skin showing then not, if you're in a douche-y bar. I'd get out of there.

Good Idea: parties

Fraternity parties sometimes get a bad reputation as seedy places in dank, crowded basements, filled with drunk underage kids. That's basically true. But think about it this way: you're in that shady basement, so there's a chance that there's someone in that same room with similar interests and intentions.

You might need to talk to a few toads - and by toads I mean obnoxiously drunk girls and boys who will end up with their head in the toilet by the end of the night - but eventually, you'll find someone who actually piques your interest.

Bad Idea: Internet

I'm going to level with all of the guys who think randomly Facebook chatting a girl is a good idea - it's not. Never have I heard of a girl who was anything but creeped out and annoyed when a strange man continually messaged her.

Of course, that's probably not true for everyone but, generally speaking, striking up a conversation on the Internet is as risky as going on ChatRoulette. There's a chance you're talking to the disturbing dude who flashes his dong to the world.

And fair warning, the girl with the cute profile picture who you have no mutual friends with - you know the one who randomly started talking to you who seems like a catch? Don't be fooled when she starts liking the same music as you and all of your pictures and "funny" statuses. Unless you know someone who can vouch for her sanity, she might end up believing the two of you are dating and then verbally harassing every other girl who likes your statuses.

Good Idea: coffee shops

What I learned this summer from studying at Starbucks: cute guys love coffee.

It's easy to see if you and the cute guy sitting at the table next to you have things in common - all you have to do is check out what books he's reading. On the flip side, it can also hint you have absolutely nothing in common. If you're a Jane Austen kind of girl and the dude you're checking out is reading Dune, you might have severely different interests.

One thing to keep in mind, no matter where you're trying to find someone, it all depends on the actual person you meet. Keep your mind open to possibilities; you never know who will cross your path.