Psychotropic medications can be useful, but they aren’t the answer for everyone

While medication can be effective in treating mental health, we need to distinguish it from more permanent solutions

Medication — the great panacea of our times. It seems like there’s a pill for everything these days, from anxiety to depression to ADHD. 

While psychotropic medications (medications used to treat mental health disorders) can certainly be a useful tool for managing certain mental health issues, they’re not always the answer. In fact, in some cases, they can actually do more harm than good.

Psychotropic medications are often seen as a quick fix — a way to make the symptoms of mental illness disappear without addressing the underlying issues. But mental health is complex, and there is no one-size-fits-all solution. According to Mental Health America, for some people, medication may be an effective part of a holistic treatment plan, but for others, it may not be necessary or may even exacerbate their symptoms.

Medication can also come with a host of side effects, ranging from mild to severe. These can include everything from headaches and nausea to restlessness and sexual dysfunction. According to American Addiction Centers, medications such as Adderall can lead to addiction, seizures, heart disease and even more psychiatric problems, such as psychosis. 

Psychotropic medications may also mask underlying issues rather than addressing them directly. For example, a person with depression may take an antidepressant that temporarily alleviates their symptoms, but does not address the root causes of their depression, such as trauma, stress or social isolation. In such cases, medication may provide temporary relief, but may not result in lasting improvement in mental health.

So what are the alternatives? Well, for starters, therapy can be a powerful tool for managing mental health issues. Psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy and other forms of talk therapy can help individuals develop coping mechanisms, explore underlying issues and learn new skills for managing their symptoms.

In addition to therapy, lifestyle changes such as exercise, meditation and healthy eating can also be effective for managing mental health issues. These approaches may take more time and effort than simply popping a pill, but they can also have long-lasting benefits for overall health and well-being.

Of course, none of this is to say that medication should never be used. In some cases, it can be an important part of a comprehensive treatment plan. But it’s important to remember that medication is just one tool in the mental health toolkit, and that there are often other options worth exploring. 

By taking a holistic approach to mental health, we can help individuals find the treatment plan that works best for them — whether that includes medication or not.

If you or someone you know is dealing with a mental health emergency or an after-hours concern, call University Police immediately at 716-645-2222. If you are stressed or in need of someone to talk to, contact UB’s Counseling Services at 716-645-2720 and Michael Hall at 716-829-5800. If you are in a crisis situation, contact Crisis Services of Western New York’s 24/7 hotline at 716-834-3131. Students can also text the Crisis Text Line by sending “GOT5” to 741-741.

The opinion desk can be reached at opinion@ubspectrum.com