Spectrum recommends: indoor activities

Read a book, play a card game or strike a yoga pose with these fun and easy suggestions

<p>Card games are an enjoyable activity when stuck indoors.</p>

Card games are an enjoyable activity when stuck indoors.

Whether because of falling COVID-19 particles or snowflakes, students in the Queen City are forced to spend a lot of time indoors — especially in 2022.

Luckily, the staff of The Spectrum has compiled a list of fun and easy activities to do while you’re stuck in your dorm room or apartment complex. Channel your inner Picasso, challenge your friends to competitive activities or read an award-winning novel — the Buffalo weather and current pandemic situation will give you plenty of time to master indoor crafts:

Yoga

Bored, lonely or just sick of your life inside? Well, today is the day to take your inner zen back into your own hands. Just 10 minutes of yoga will make you feel completely refreshed all over again, and give you a new lease of life on that involuntary isolation you’ve found yourself in. An undeniable plus is that there’s an absolute ton of quick and easy online walkthroughs, and also ones that completely uplift you like the infamous “Yoga With Adriene” featuring her gorgeous Blue Heeler dog, Benji.

• Sophie McNally
kike-vega-F2qh3yjz6Jk-unsplash (1).jpg
Kike Vega / Unsplash

A woman in Indonesia does yoga.

Painting 

Painting is a great way to express yourself and let your mind roam free. Not only does art allow you to have fun, but it allows you to reduce your stress levels at the same time. With just a paint brush, a canvas and your favorite colors, you can manifest your vision into life. Whether you’re a Picasso, a Warhol or you have no idea who those people are, turn on your best beats and let the creativity take control of you.

• Kayla Sterner 

Get creative with some friends

Alright, I know this sounds obvious, but hear me out. Use your lightest roommate as a barbell and see who can do the most squats. Follow a Bob Ross tutorial with MS Paint. Play hide and seek in your dorm building or apartment complex. Write a B-movie and then film it on your phone. Play card games in the elevator. Throw a fake wedding. The only limits are your imagination and pride. 

• Grant Ashley

Read

Snowy days in Buffalo were made for cracking open that book your best-friend’s-sister’s-mom got you for your birthday two years ago. Reading is the best form of escapism and is the most effective way of passing the time. Instead of being in cold and miserable Buffalo, you could be out vacationing in Hawaii while trying not to fall in love with someone you hate or trying to preserve yourself and your career with the woman you love in 1970s Hollywood. Reading a book is the best way to laugh, cry and pass the time when you have nowhere else to be. I recommend Beartown by Fredrik Backman and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

• Julie Frey

Puzzles

Full disclosure: I am really bad at puzzles. Like, really bad at them. But I love doing them nonetheless. They keep my mind sharp. I usually do them in a relaxed setting, often with friends. It’s challenging, engaging and always rewarding. There’s nothing like the struggle of pigeonholing the tabs and blanks — did you know that’s what they’re called? — into each other, and then, after a few hours, watching the pieces come together to form a dog, or a house, or a baseball. It’s awesome.

• Justin Weiss
269601933_488157306033815_6912868696220101462_n (1).jpg

“We Are All The Same” by Spectrum editor Kayla Sterner.

Do your work…with purpose

When you spend an abundance of time indoors because of the Queen City weather, you may find yourself asking: “How can I decrease my anxiety and pass some time in the process?” I come to you with a simple solution: Do your work. For school or otherwise, the thought of work piling up is indeed daunting. Simply starting a task gives me the peace of mind to keep pushing through the daily grind with positivity. I find that if you frame your to-do list as tiny chunks, keeping a level state of mind becomes easier. All you have to do is listen to your instincts and bit by bit, you can finish anything you set your mind to.

• Jack Porcari

Card games

Whether you’re by yourself, with your roommate, or in a larger group, card games are the perfect way to pass the time indoors. One of the beauties of card games is that there are so many that can fit any mood. If you want something fast paced with a bit of a competitive edge, try Spit, a two-player game that is sure to get the adrenaline pumping. Or, if you’re with a group of friends and want something with a bit more strategy, options like poker and pitch offer a lengthier play, and can often be spiced up with a bit of friendly betting. And, of course, if you’re by yourself, solitaire is always an entertaining choice.

• Kara Anderson

Chores

Being trapped indoors under gray skies and shorter days is a surefire way to sap the zest out of your daily life. And while chores are by no means the most charming of indoor activities, they do present an unsung opportunity to inject some intent into your day while brightening up your surroundings. Pop your clothes into the laundry. Declutter your workspace. Put a jam on as you vacuum. It can be difficult to stay motivated during the dreariest parts of the season, and knocking out those chores can be a great way to navigate the ambling Buffalo thaw by keeping your mind sharp and optimistic for when the winds of spring open up those doors again.

• Kyle Nguyen

Journal

As a busy college student I write… a lot. So, I often find that journaling is the last thing I want to do to unwind on my days off. But journaling isn’t just a regular English paper, meant to fill a class requirement. Instead, recreational writing is a great way to reflect on your day, process what’s been on your mind and even reignite the passion you might’ve had for writing, before whirlwinds of assignments and due dates became your top priority. Put down your phone, pick up your favorite pen and start spending more time with yourself and your inner thoughts.

• Kayla Estrada

Crocheting

I used to fidget a lot. What I now know is ADHD used to send electric shocks through my bones, causing my knees to constantly bounce and my fingers to absentmindedly knot themselves together. I’ve tried all the coping mechanisms: fidget toys, pop-it pads and everything else my brain could conjure up. But nothing ever stuck. Until I took up crocheting. With a ball of yarn and hook in hand, I could sit still for hours weaving the fibers back and forth, creating patterns and knits. Crocheting keeps my hands busy and my head clear.

• Reilly Mullen