Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Meet the SA Senate candidates

Polls are open from Sept. 21-23

Four students are running for 12 open positions on the Student Association Senate.

UB’s Undergraduate Student Association will hold Senate elections from Sept. 21-23.

There are currently four candidates running for 12 positions; this follows lightly-contested races for SA e-board spots last April. The Spectrum has compiled information on the races. Here’s everything to know about the candidates and their platforms: 

Who’s running: There are only four candidates running for 12 open positions: Tyler Herman, Madison Nitsche, Krish Thakkar and Khan Yasin. This means that no matter how many students turn out, each candidate will get a seat in office. 

What the SA Senate does: SA Senators are elected representatives who control the organization’s annual budget, have the power to recognize and derecognize clubs and work closely with the executive committee (the executive board and club council coordinators) to advocate on behalf of UB undergraduates. Senators must be currently registered full-time UB undergrads who are in “good academic standing.”

How to vote: The election is taking place through UB Linked, Student Engagement’s online club and special events platform. All undergraduate students are eligible to vote by following the link in SA’s Instagram bio (@ub_sa) or by logging in to UB Linked. 

From the candidates: The Spectrum reached out to all the candidates for their platforms and mission statements. Of the four, only Tyler Herman and Madison Nitsche responded:

Tyler Herman: Herman believes his previous experience in student advocacy will help him in this role. In high school, Herman served as president of student government, as a student representative on the board of education and founded a civic engagement club to get students involved in changing the school’s culture around race, gender and sexuality. When in office, the freshman political science major says he will “ensure that all SA funds [are] dispersed equitably and sensibly and be a tireless advocate to the University on behalf of the students. I would also ensure that all students feel represented in the SA in alignment with the University’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.”

Madison Nitsche: Nitsche, a Buffalo native, says her heritage and desire to represent all students is what makes her uniquely qualified for this role. Also a freshman, Nitsche belongs to the Leadership House living-learning community, and has served as the captain of her mock trial team and Donate Life club in high school. When elected, the biomedical sciences major is focused on a more comprehensive review of club budgets. She explains, “It's more than looking at a piece of paper, as I fully intend to set out to talk to club members and gain direct insight on how I can further their passions in any way.” 

Half the candidates have yet to share their qualifications or goals, but all will receive a seat in the Senate if they choose to stay in the race. Despite the lack of candidates, SA is encouraging student turnout.

Students can vote in the election by visiting UBLinked.

Natalie Doller is an assistant news/features editor and can be reached at natalie.doller@ubspectrum.com