News briefs: A breakdown of this week in news

Here is a breakdown of what you should know locally, nationally and globally.

Local

Tyrod Taylor will have a spot in the Hall of Fame

After becoming one of five quarterbacks in the NFL to throw for at least 100 yards, run for 70 yards and catch a pass in a single game, Tyrod Taylor’s jersey from the Buffalo Bills’ Oct. 11 game will get a spot in the Football Hall of Fame, according to 247 Sports. The Bills quarterback was applauded for his play in which he threw for 109 yards as well as when he ran the ball for a touchdown himself. The Bills won the game 14-13 over the Tennessee Titans.

Totes McGoats named recycling mascot in Niagara Falls

The Niagara Falls Solid Waste Education and Enforcement Team unveiled its new mascot, Totes McGoats, in an effort to make children more aware of recycling, according to Time. The mascot – which is a person donned in a goat mask while wearing a “Totes McGoats” T-shirt – has gained national attention for its “terrifying” appearance. Niagara Falls Mayor Paul Dyster said he believes the mascot is a way to “reach out to kids and get their attention.”

National

Democratic Debate

This past Tuesday CNN aired the first Democratic debate for the 2016 presidential election. About 15.3 million viewers tuned in to the debate.

However, according to the Wall Street Journal, this was still fewer viewers than the audience who watched the recent Republican debates. The five Democratic candidates vying for the nomination discussed topics including immigration policy and gun control. Hillary Clinton’s email controversy was also brought up.

But Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) said the American people were “sick and tired” of hearing about the topic. In the end, Clinton was determined winner of the debate. Many believed current Vice President Joe Biden would announce his bid for candidacy prior to the debate – CNN even had a podium at the ready in case he made a last minute decision – however Biden has yet to say whether or not he plans to run.

Lawsuit filed over traffic stop shooting

The family of 17-year-old Deven Guilford has filed a lawsuit after he was shot and killed during a traffic stop in Michigan back in February.

Sgt. Jonathan Frost pulled over Guilford after Guilford flashed his high beams at Frost’s vehicle to warn the officer that his were on, according to CNN. Frost’s body camera caught the situation, which escalated after Guilford didn’t hand over his driver’s license at the officer’s request.

After Guilford admitted he did not have his ID on him, Frost pulled him out of the car and told the 17-year-old he was under arrest. According to a report from the Eaton County’s Prosecuting Attorney’s office, after he attacked the officer, the officer shot Guilford seven times. Only audio was caught on the body camera during the alleged attack. Guilford’s family is seeking damages as well as a trial by jury.

International

“El Chapo” injured while escaping from Mexican officials

In a statement released on Friday, Mexican officials announced infamous drug lord Joaquin Guzman – also known as El Chapo – injured his face and leg as he escaped from authorities who were reportedly closing in on the fugitive’s location. According to CNN, Guzman has been on the run since he escaped from prison through an underground tunnel in July.

Australia plans to lift ban on medical marijuana

The Australian government announced a plan to lift its ban against growing marijuana for medical and scientific purposes. According to CNN, the country currently has marijuana listed as an illegal drug. This means that even if the drug was used for medicinal purposes, anyone caught growing, possessing or selling the drug could be fined or jailed.

The government announced Saturday the Narcotics Drugs Act of 1967 would be amended in order for the drug to be grown locally. If this is approved by parliament, citizens who grow the drug will be given licenses and patient prescriptions will be regulated. Recreational marijuana will remain illegal.

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.