Melodious style with harmonious ease

A list of our most iconic musicians' fashion

Macklemore’s “Thrift Shop” is just another example of how artists incorporate their personal style into their music.
Courtesy of Macklemore LLC
Macklemore’s “Thrift Shop” is just another example of how artists incorporate their personal style into their music. Courtesy of Macklemore LLC

Musicians all have their own aesthetic. It is easy to forget many musicians don’t always mix their musical personalities with their “real life” personas. Here is a list of some of famous musicians who were also known for their iconic personal style.

Jimi Hendrix

It’s hard to imagine anyone else embodying the ’60s Hippie Movement more than Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix often donned wacked-out outfits with floral prints and skintight pants while shredding his guitar. Hendrix represented an era with his style symbolic of the free-spirited ’60s.

Stevie Nicks

The front woman of Fleetwood Mac, Nicks is known for her billowing, Victorian and Bohemian fashion. Her dark, draping stage costumes were known for their elegance and grace, but also their conservative mystique.

Madonna

One of the biggest pop stars of the ’80s and ’90s, Madonna had an unmistakable impact on pop culture. Besides her countless fashion shoots for magazines and runways, her bold fashion has helped to redefine concepts of feminine style, from punk to androgynous, and hip-hop to western.

Lou Reed

Lou Reed was an icon like no other. He made the “rocker” look – leather jackets, all black everything – instantly recognizable. It is “his” look, and as such, influences entire generations of rock imitators.

Blondie

Similar, perhaps, to how Reed influenced a world of leather-bound rockers to follow in his footsteps, Debbie Harry (Blondie) influenced a generation of her own. Her eccentric mix of punk rock and glam gave her a distinct, brazen look that led to an insurgence of rocker-chic looks.

David Bowie

How could you talk about iconic musicians’ styles without including David Bowie? His aesthetic was revolutionary and imitable – he signified his views on gender and art through his cultivated fashion taste. His “Ziggy Stardust” glam look will forever be one of the most famous pop culture styles of all time.

Justine Frischmann

Justine Frischmann, the Queen of Britpop, had a look that is all her own. Her androgynous looks spawned an entire movement of Britpop artists all trying to copy her distinctive tomboy look – skinny jeans, Doc Martens and torn up T-shirts under leather jackets.

Rihanna

One of the most talked about celebrities today, Rihanna has become known as the “bad-girl” of the runway with her avant-garde, daring fashion. One of the youngest black women to ever appear on the cover of Vogue, Rihanna has built her fashion career on cutting edge style that refuses to care about social acceptance, emphasizing sexuality and female empowerment.

Kanye West

Easily one of the most controversial fashion icons on this list, Kanye has found a way to exude his self-aggrandizing musical style through his own expression of retro, prep-school and street fashion. Often rapping about his fashion, it is well known that Kanye has been involved in the fashion industry lately and has been trying to bring the high-class world of fashion together with the music industry.