"Volleyball returns home, defeat Niagara"

In first Alumni Arena match since August, Buffalo defeats Niagara

Junior middle blocker Akeila Lain had five kills in the volleyball team’s 3-0 win over Niagara at Alumni Arena Tuesday night.
Yusong Shi, The Spectrum

Junior middle blocker Akeila Lain had five kills in the volleyball team’s 3-0 win over Niagara at Alumni Arena Tuesday night. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum  

Before Tuesday night, the volleyball team had not played in Alumni Arena since August. Buffalo traveled to Florida, Illinois and Indiana in September, claiming three first-place finishes and two tournament championships.

The Bulls (10-4) returned to Alumni Arena Tuesday and defeated Niagara (4-9) in straight sets, 25-22, 25-14, 25-21, in their last nonconference match and first home game since Aug. 31.

“We loved playing at home,” said head coach Reed Sunahara. “It was a good match to prepare ourselves for this weekend. We got re-familiar with our arena because we’ve been gone for so long. We had to get familiar with our surroundings again and that’s why we started out so slow.”

The Bulls trailed Niagara in the first set by as many as five points before coming back to tie the set at 18.

Buffalo claimed the next three points and held on onto the lead the rest of the way. Junior outside hitter Megan Lipski scored the set-winning kill.

The Bulls began to hit their stride in the second set. After tying the game early in the set, the Bulls pulled away, outscoring the Purple Eagles 11-3 to build an 18-9 lead. From there, Buffalo seized control and won by the score of 25-14.

“I thought we controlled the ball better,” Sunahara said. “We did a better job taking care of the ball on our side. That was the difference between that set and the first and third set. When we can take care of the ball and run our system, we have more options.”

The third and final set a tight set, however, as the Bulls scored the final three points to close the set and the match.

Junior outside hitter Tahleia Bishop had a game-high 14 kills, while freshman libero Niki Bozinoski and junior outside hitter Megan Lipski both had a game-high nine digs. Junior setter Marissa Prinzbach led all players in assists by 21, as she finished the night with 38.

The Bulls were appreciative to be back on their home court.

“Playing on the road is tough.” Bishop said. “I get jealous because other teams have their home fans cheering them on, so it’s very refreshing to come home and get the home crowd to cheer and scream and support you to victory.”

The game was the Bulls’ final matchup before they enter Mid American-Conference play.

“Now, it counts. Not to say the preseason didn’t count, but now, it really counts, so, if we’re not ready, it’s our fault,” Sunahara said. “It’s up to us to be mentally focused and physically prepared.”

Buffalo takes on Bowling Green (3-9) Friday at Alumni Arena in their first MAC game of the season. The game is set to begin at 7 p.m.