UB Bulls wide receiver Ron Willoughby emerged in Buffalo's season opening victory

Willoughby is seeing major playing time for the first time as a Bull

Junior wide receiver Ron Willoughby caught ten passes for 132 yards and two touchdowns last week against Duquesne. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum

Junior wide receiver Ron Willoughby comes off as modest and humble when he’s not on the field. But his aggressive play and outlandish stature earned him a nickname a few years ago from former Buffalo quarterbacks coach Don Patterson that will stick with him forever.

“Willough-beast.”

The team was watching game tape when a Willoughby highlight came onto the screen.

“He just randomly said, ‘That’s the Willough-beast.’ I’ve never really had a nickname before this so I’m having some fun with it,” Willoughby said.

And he proved he was worthy of the nickname after last Saturday’s game when he emerged with 10 catches, 132 yards and two touchdowns in the football team’s 38-28 victory over Duquesne (0-1).

There were instances during the game that might have took some fans by surprise, including a 44-minute lighting delay and a down-to-the-wire matchup against a Football Subdivision Championship (FCS) opponent.

But the biggest surprise may have been Willoughby.

The Avon Lake, Ohio native only had three career catches before Saturday’s game.

Willoughby redshirted his first year at Buffalo and did not have much production once he started playing. As a redshirt freshman in 2012, he played in seven games without recording a single catch. Not much changed the following season, as he only caught three receptions for 83 yards in 2013.

Willoughby took advantage of his time as a backup. He was mentored by one of the program’s best receivers in recent history: Alex Neutz.

“Alex taught me a lot about the game and the program,” Willoughby said. “I was behind him for three years, watching and learning from him.”

With Neutz and fellow receiver Fred Lee graduated, a void was created at the wide receiver position. In Buffalo’s first game without Neutz and Lee, Willoughby made the most of his opportunity.

“I never thought I would put up those numbers,” Willoughby said about his outburst on Saturday.

Willoughby’s most memorable moment was his first touchdown of the game. Not only was it his first career touchdown, but he also celebrated the score with his grandfather, Ronald Willoughby Sr.

Ronald Willoughby Sr. was standing behind the medal guardrail facing the end zone. After catching the touchdown, Willoughby’s momentum took him right to the spot his grandfather was standing, who gave him a congratulatory slap on the helmet.

“It was such a special moment that I will never forget,” Willoughby said.

The touchdown ended up being the game-winner.

The man behind the nickname might have a promising career in Buffalo ahead of him. As junior quarterback Joe Licata’s potential new favorite target, Willoughby might be looking at a breakout year. But even if he didn’t get one more reception, he would be fine with it as long as his dream becomes a reality.

“In Buffalo, the only thing I want to accomplish is getting a ring on my finger,” Willoughby said. “I’ll do whatever it takes to get a Mid-American Conference ring. I could have negative catches as long as it means my team gets the ‘W.’”

The “Willough-beast” will try to continue his dominance when the Bulls play at Army this Saturday at noon.