The Spectacular Now review: 'Young hearts spark fire'

Film: The Spectacular Now

Release Date: Aug. 3 (limited release), Aug. 23 (Buffalo release)

Studio: 21 Laps Entertainment

Grade: A

In Hollywood, the "living in the moment" mindset is common. But the film The Spectacular Now grabs this theme and takes it to a whole new level.

In a time when teenage romance films are virtually non-existent - unless vampire love is your thing - director James Ponsoldt (Smashed) restores faith in this diminishing genre with The Spectacular Now. The film's honesty, coupled with brilliant performances by two young stars and their supporting cast, garnered serious buzz when it premiered at this year's Sundance Film Festival.

The film, based on a book by Tim Tharp, begins with Sutter Keely (Miles Teller, Footloose), a high school senior with a certain zest for life. He doesn't do well in school or know what the future holds for him, but his wit and charm always ensure he'll have one hell of a weekend. And when his girlfriend dumps him, he tries to fill the void with any girl he can find and alcohol - a lot of alcohol - which leaves him passed out on someone's front lawn.

The next morning, Aimee Finecky (Shailene Woodley, The Descendants) finds him on her paper route, an encounter that sparks an unlikely connection. Aimee is far from similar to Sutter. She is smart, not much of a partier and, unlike Sutter, lives for the future instead of the moment. Though, like Sutter, she comes from a broken home.

Their differences cultivate a relationship that does not make sense on paper. But writers Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, ((500) Days of Summer), were able to create the ultimate paradox: two people so wrong for each other that somehow they're perfect for each other.

Although the film may seem rather formulaic, Ponsoldt makes it more than just a teen romance. He tells the story of a seemingly innocent teenage relationship while also touching on deep issues like alcoholism, divorce, and sex.

The relationship acts as the backdrop for a deeper issue many teenagers experience: feeling lost. Sutter spends much of the film trying to find himself. He is numb to his future, and the one thing that keeps him going - other than the flask constantly in his pocket - is Aimee.

Much like (500) Days of Summer, the film is entirely character driven and the whole cast doesn't disappoint. From Sutter's father, played by Kyle Chandler (Zero Dark Thirty), to Sutter's mother, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh (Kill Your Darlings), the supporting cast complements the brilliant performances of the teenage couple without stealing the spotlight.

Teller was able to toe the line between a fa?\0xA4ade of confidence and hidden insecurity - not an easy task, considering the depth of the role. Not to mention, Sutter appears in every scene in the film.

Much like most "coming of age" films, Sutter is trying to find his place in the world. He is afraid to grow up, but he keeps telling himself that he is just living in the "now." He has no need to be ambitious and is comfortable where he is. That is why his relationship with Aimee works so well. Much like their first encounter, Aimee wakes Sutter up from his alcohol-induced reality.

The chemistry between Teller and Woodley is nothing short of remarkable - almost to the point where you begin to question their relationship outside the confines of the film. Woodley shows why she earned a Golden Globe nomination for her role in The Descendants and the two have solidified their future in Hollywood.

While watching The Spectacular Now, you can't help but smile. But the true beauty of the film is how it manages to keep you smiling long after the closing credits.