Heartfelt on the hardwood

Country left shocked after witnessing one of the most disturbing injuries in sports history

Sunday's Elite Eight matchup between Duke and Louisville won't go down as a historic basketball game in the NCAA Tournament - but anyone who witnessed the injury to the Cardinals' Kevin Ware will never forget that moment.

CBS focused on Duke's Tyler Thornton as he trotted back to the defensive end after hitting a 3-pointer and my friends and I asked: "Why is he making those funny faces?" Then, as CBS's Clark Kellogg announced Ware had suffered a gruesome injury, the network showed multiple Louisville players curled into a ball (some were crying) - unable to even bare the sight of their teammate.

I chose not to look at the replays; the players', coaches' and commentators' gut-wrenching reactions were disturbing enough. As Ware landed on his right leg, attempting to alter Thornton's shot, he broke his tibia.

His bone was sticking six inches out of his skin.

I wasn't able to avoid it for long, though, as the Internet blew up with pictures and videos of the injury. It won't be the worst injury of all time (in terms of recovery period) but people have deemed it the most disturbing.

I concur with the population's consensus.

After watching the replay countless times now, there are three things I can't shake.

Ware's strength and courage

Louisville coach Rick Pitino said that all Ware continued to say while he lay there was, "Win the game." Ware even called the players into a huddle and addressed them with the same mantra before medics carried him off on a stretcher.

Here is a man whose leg is nearly severed at the shin, who looks around and sees teammates, coaches and fans unable to bear the site of his injury, but all he is concerned about is giving them the inspiration they need to win the game and earn a trip to the Final Four. He maintained his composure - granted, he was in shock from the injury - and rarely showed any signs of pain or discomfort. To put it simply, unbelievable.

His teammates' reactions

As nearly everyone on the court shields his or her eyes from the sight of Ware's leg, Luck Hancock is the only Louisville player to come to his aid. He comes from the bench and sits with Ware as the medical staff goes right to work. Hancock pounds on his chest and holds his hand.

While others were incapable to even squint at the injury, Hancock sat front and center knowing Ware needed support from someone. If I were Ware, the presence and support from Hancock would have been monumental to my mental stability.

The void in my mind of having any interest in basketball right now

Basketball is my favorite sport to watch, play and attempt to intelligently write about.

The injury put me into a state of shock. I had trouble paying attention to the rest of the game after the injury, let alone caring about the score.

I play about three times a week, and if it wasn't for being a full-time student, editor at The Spectrum and having a part-time internship, I'd play seven days a week. I love the sport as much as anything. Yet, it occurred to me early Tuesday morning: a full two days after the Ware injury and going to play pickup this week hasn't crossed my mind once.

Is it possible I have unconsciously distanced myself from the sport because of this?

Will I continue to play? Of course. But I can't help but think this could happen to me or anyone else on the court. The man simply jumped at a player, attempting to alter his shot. He didn't even get a finger on the ball or make contact with another player. This happens in almost every shot that's been taken in every game of basketball that has ever been played.

The injury and moments following it have given me a newfound respect for Louisville. As a die-hard Syracuse fan, Louisville was solely atop my 'Most Hated Team in Sports' list.

But how can I hate those players after this?

I watched the game on television hundreds of miles away with no psychological connection to the game - besides rooting against Louisville - and nearly three days later, I found it troubling to go play basketball. Those players watched as a teammate - a 'brother' - went down with what will be considered the most disturbing injury in sports history. Then they continued playing after just a 10-minute delay and won the game.

If that isn't one of the most courageous, fearless, heroic sports stories you've ever heard, I don't know what is.

Email: jon.gagnon@ubspectrum.com