UB's Battle of the Bands crowns opening act for Spring Fest

As an unsigned artist, the struggle to make music while remaining financially stable is a tough feat. Playing shows and making albums isn't conducive to a cheap lifestyle, especially for college students in bands who worry about affording tuition and books in addition to new guitar strings and gas money for the next gig.

Breckenwood, CrashFuse, Turbulence, The Plastic Faction and Michael King know that feeling all too well.

The five diverse acts, each of which have a UB student or alumnus as a member, took part in the Student Association's annual Battle of the Bands last Thursday in the Student Union Theater. The top three winners were awarded cash prizes of $500, $250 and $100, and a special surprise went to the top contender.

First place went to jazz musician Michael King and his band, which now has the honor of opening for Kendrick Lamar and Steve Aoki at this year's Spring Fest.

Vocalist/keyboardist and former leader of the Buffalo Chips Michael King could barely contain his excitement as he hugged his bandmates after the announcement.

"Buffalo usually supports the rock and punk scene, so we don't receive much recognition," King said. "I'm in shock that we won and we can't wait to play Spring Fest."

King and his band sealed the deal with their rendition of Blackstreet's "No Diggity," which they performed toward the conclusion of their set. King's soulful "Timberlake" croon rang out into the Union, leading to a few curious students poking their heads into the theater.

King's drummer "Teaspoon" packed a punch; his drum solo elicited whistles and loud cheers from the audience alongside the smooth tone of the saxophone.

"Michael King was my favorite of the night," said junior psychology major Justina Garcia. "I didn't think he would take first place, though, with his music being so different."

"Teaspoon" is not the only drummer whose beats commanded attention. Matthew Mrugalski, drummer of alternative rock band Turbulence, was the focal point of the band's set.

At only 15 years old, Mrugalski resembled "Animal" of the Muppets as he thrashed around on his drum kit. His performance garnered the appreciationof the crowd and three judges, earning Turbulence second place.

Third place winner, The Plastic Faction, exceeded expectations with its sound. When the band came on stage, some of the audience snickered, but all the naysayers were silenced when the band kicked into high-energy rock music. The Plastic Faction's youthful vibe captured the attention of the audience, winning it over with its Weezer-influenced sound.

Both Breckenwood and CrashFuse put on hard-hitting punk performances, but it was not enough to place the bands in the top three.

It's safe to say that Spring Fest will bring the diversity the student body has craved for the past few semesters and will provide a platform for local Buffalo music.

"It's going to be huge exposure for us to play Spring Fest," King said. "I couldn't be more grateful for this opportunity."