Practice what you preach

I think we all can agree on this: covering up a series of sexual abuses is not only inexcusable, but also a serious matter that needs to be dealt with immediately.

Apparently, the Catholic Church makes exceptions.

Earlier this year, The Los Angeles Times revealed a sexual abuse cover up by Cardinal Roger Mahony of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles that spanned over 25 years.

In private memos that were recently released to the public, it's clear Mahony made an effort to conceal child molestation by priests from law enforcement, even going so far as moving priests outside the state of California to avoid litigation. Mahony even denied requests from priests who sought medical help to deal with their pedophilia in fear the health professional would alert law enforcement.

Mahony covered up molestation cases for at least 75 priests and the number of victims is estimated at over 500, according to The Los Angeles Times.

The Catholic Church has a history of treating these situations poorly, and this time, they had the chance to set the record straight. You would think they would take this opportunity to punish a man who was clearly acting in violation of plenty of laws - not to mention the Bible - and show the world how seriously they are now going to treat this issue.

They made no such effort.

What did they do? They asked Mahony to come to Vatican City to elect the new pope.

I've been a Catholic for 22 years and I would be lying if I said I approve of everything the church has done lately. But this issue is particularly appalling. I was an alter server for six years, and I realize how fortunate I am to never have dealt with what the victims of the cover up had to.

Although Archbishop Jose Gomez relieved Mahony of all public and administrative duties, the church clearly isn't treating the issue with the seriousness I think it deserves. How can the Catholic Church think a man who allowed at least 75 child molesters to walk away while disregarding the hundreds of abuse victims is fit to elect the pope?

To clarify, I do not believe the scandal is the root of the problem. There are always going to be people who make mistakes, even mistakes as egregious as this one. But mistakes are more crucial in an organization whose foundation is based on what is right and just.

I believe the problem is in the church's lack of response, both from its members and higher ups.

In any other organization, a scandal like this would not only break the reputation of the person behind the cover up but the reputation of the organization as a whole. Why doesn't this ring true for the Catholic Church?

Look at Penn State, for example. Joe Paterno, the former head coach of the school's football team, was in a similar situation as Mahony. Paterno was accused of being aware of and covering up multiple instances where Jerry Sandusky, the former defensive coordinator, molested young boys. As a result, everyone involved in the cover up was fired, the school's name has since been tarnished and Paterno's legacy has also been tainted. Penn State's football program has been struggling redeem itself from the mess ever since.

How does this differ from Mahony's situation? It doesn't. In fact, Mahony's cover up is worse.

He works for an organization that prides itself in preaching morality. When the church condones this kind of behavior - which it is undoubtedly doing if they are going to leave him unpunished and allow him to elect the pope - it demeans everything the organization morally stands for.

How are we as Catholics supposed to trust the teachings of a church that excuses behavior that is clearly immoral by any standard?

Also, why is the church sympathizing with Mahony instead of the hundreds of abuse victims whom Mahony disregarded?

I believe before an organization is going to tell its members the difference between right and wrong, that organization should know the difference.

I am obviously not saying the majority of people in the Catholic Church are immoral people or that molestation is common in churches across the country. That obviously isn't true. My point is we should hold people accountable, especially those who aren't listening to the very words they speak.

Mahony admitted in his blog he understands he made a mistake, but there is nothing he can do to change what he did in the past. In what I can only call an unapologetic apology, he was surprised at the reaction he received.

"I can't recall a time such as now when people tend to be so judgmental and even self-righteous, so quick to accuse, judge and condemn," Mahony said.

I believe being skeptical has more to do with faith than blind acceptance.

On the last day of my freshman year of high school - a Catholic, Jesuit high school - my religion teacher said something that has stuck with me ever since.

"If you walk out of here knowing 100 percent what you believe [religiously], I didn't do my job," he said. "You need to constantly question your faith. Then, and only then, will you know what you truly believe."

I think people are afraid to embrace this challenge and instead accepting everything that is told to them, especially from someone in glorified position like Archbishop. I think that is partially why Mahony got away with this.

When a governor passes legislation that lifts restrictions for abortion clinics, people are quick to protest, which is a valid response. But when a high-level church official is involved in sex abuse scandal, those same people turn their heads like nothing happened.

The church needs to start learning from its teachings. Members have become so good at criticizing that they have forgotten how to be criticized. The church stresses the importance of forgiveness, but accountability is the first step. I guess the rules they set only apply to us, not them.

Email: sam.fernando@ubspectrum.com