University police aims to prevent vehicle break-ins

On Nov. 8, a perpetrator smashed windows of two vehicles and stole textbooks from two students in separate events. Earlier that week, a student had his laptop stolen from his unlocked car.

Although the number of break-ins has gone down over the past few years, the issue is prevalent, according to Lieutenant David Urbanek of the University Police Department (UPD). Most of these thefts could have easily been prevented, Urbanek said.

In September, UPD and public safety aids canvassed 5,113 vehicles (3,643 on North Campus and 1,470 on South Campus) in an effort to reduce the number of break-ins and warn students who may be at risk of theft.

Urbanek and Lieutenant Kathleen Zysek, who coordinated the effort, searched cars in various university parking lots with the help of many officers and public safety aids. They then gave each car a pass or fail rating in what they called the "Vehicle Break-in Report Card." An "F" was given if the vehicle was unlocked or had valuables visible from the outside. Twenty percent of vehicles failed the test.

"The amount of crime is being reduced in our parking areas, which reduces the negative effect a crime can have on any of our students, staff and visitors,,this effort will reduce the [number of break-ins]."

Urbanek and Nicole Donovan, a sociology major and UPD intern, contacted the students who failed by getting their information from license plates and parking permits. They then emailed the students to let them know their vehicle was susceptible to a break-in and how it can be prevented.

Urbanek suggested students hide anything valuable in their cars so it won't be visible from the outside. This includes the obvious things like laptops, GPS devices and radios, but even less apparent items like textbooks, clothing and jackets. Urbanek also said iPhone and iPod accessories have caused break-ins.

"One of the biggest problems is that [students] are attracting thieves," Urbanek said. "Majority of thefts happen when students leave valuables visible in the vehicle. These types of thefts can usually be prevented."

He said anything a student feels is valuable should be kept in the glove compartment, the trunk or should be taken with the student. He said students should always lock their vehicles because even parking permits get stolen.

If a student finds that his or her vehicle was broken into, Urbanek said he or she should not touch anything and call UPD immediately. The police officers will evaluate the situation and see if anything can be done to locate the perpetrator. UPD may be able to use security cameras to further assess the situation.

With the holidays coming up, Urbanek said it is even more important to prevent these larcenies.

UPD plans to canvass more vehicles at the beginning of the spring semester.