Paper Mario: Sticker Star game review

Stickers for adults

Developer: Intelligent Systems

Platform: 3DS

Release Date: Nov. 11

Grade: A-

Nintendo's latest adventure unfolds on the 3DS.

Team up with Mario and his new ally, Kersti, to recover the Royal Stickers and stop Bowser from crumpling the Mushroom Kingdom. Blending elements of platforming, turn-style RPGs and puzzle solving, Paper Mario: Sticker Star adheres these genres into one of the best games yet for the 3DS.

Sticker Fest has arrived and the Sticker Comet is coming to grant the wishes of the subjects of the Mushroom Kingdom. Surprise! Bowser and his minions interfere and chaos ensues as the comet is fractured and scattered throughout the world.

Some of the most notable aspects of Paper Mario are the unique artwork and graphics - everything is two-dimensional. This feature gives the game a charming look, but also factors into many of the humorous cut-scenes and set pieces that litter the campaign.

One of the funniest segments of the game involves rescuing various Toads from a number of ridiculous places that constantly highlights the two-dimensional element in the game. Oddly enough, Sticker Star is one of the few games on the 3DS where the 3D function actually looks good and improves the gameplay.

The enchanting paper world cleverly taps into the idea everything is flat allowing Mario to solve puzzles and traverse the environment in unique ways. Mario's foes also benefit from this mechanic. Enemies like the Goombas can fold into dangerous cones or connect together to form powerful shapes.

The majority of combat takes place in turn-style mode. After combat begins, all of Mario's attacks are summoned from the stickers collected in his sticker book. Stickers can be purchased from shops, peeled off of the landscape or collected from defeated foes.

Each enemy Mario faces poses different offensive and defensive threats that can be countered by selecting the right sticker. For example, if an enemy is airborne, shell stickers are ineffective. The spike helmet will protect from enemies attacking from above but fail against ground-based attacks. The difference between a game over and a perfect victory lies in the use of the stickers.

This mechanic is crucial in some boss fights and can turn the tide of battle in an instant. The Battle Spinner adds an extra layer of strategy and keeps tactics fresh.

The depth of combat extends beyond simply picking the right sticker. Pressing the "A" button during combat can power up a sticker's ability or block enemy attacks.

Outside of turn-based combat, Mario can engage enemies with an opening attack from his trusty hammer or a classic jump to the noggin.

Most enemies charge at Mario and some will even attack him. If Mario attacks them first outside of combat, the enemy will take damage before the fight starts and vice-versa.

During combat, it is important to know how to deal with each type of foe. The most frustrating part of combat is the inability to choose your target. However, sometimes enemies will line up in formations that make them vulnerable to certain stickers.

With Kersti's help, Mario can paperize the world around him. Paperizing is slow and tedious, but remains a crucial method to solving many of Sticker Star's puzzles.

While paperizing, Mario can peel and place stickers on the world, but if Mario places the wrong sticker, it's wasted, discouraging experimentation.

Stickers aren't usually the most exciting thing in the world but Paper Mario: Sticker Star succeeds in making pasting and peeling fun. Sticker Star's polished look and creative combat are a welcome addition to the Mario canon.