Flying Lotus's new frontier

Album: Until the Quiet Comes

Artist: Flying Lotus

Label: Warp

Release Date: Oct. 1

Grade: A-

Flying Lotus ventures out into new territory as he attempts to make his mark and redefine what can be considered hip-hop.

However, there are so many facets and levels of articulation happening in Until the Quiet Comesthat it would be a disservice to the record to simply label it as hip-hop.

Until the Quiet Comes, released on Oct. 1, is Flying Lotus' fourth studio album. It's been two years since his last album, the critically acclaimed Cosmogramma. Flying Lotus, also known as Steven Ellison, picks up where he left off and showcases his ability to pack a record full with an eclectic repertoire of sounds and textures for the pleasure of his fans.

Until the Quiet Comesbegins its journey with the opener "All In," which sets the tone for the rest of the album. The track is filled with sharp percussion and a driving bass with an enchanting mix of synth and piano that floats over the top of the entire production, giving the track a dream-like quality.

The transition into the next track, "Getting There," is seamless. It feels like a continuation of "All In," flawlessly transitioning as though they share the same nucleus. The two tracks differ mostly in the use of Niki Randa's guest vocals on "Getting There."

Much of this record follows in a similar manner, with tracks mixing and contorting elements of jazz, hip-hop, electronica, dream pop and even parts reminiscent of a subdued drum and bass. Ellison even manages to fit in other guest vocals from Thom Yorke, Erykah Badu and Thundercat.

Ellison does what he can to balance all of these different musical elements. There are some momentswhen tracks that are complete opposites bleed right into one another.

The track "Sultan's Request" is a slow-paced and meandering song, with ultra thick bass and heavy synth, bringing to mind something off Justice's Cross LP.

This song then fades into its elemental opposite, "Putty Boy Strut," a song much lighter in tone and mood that borders electro-pop. Flying Lotus somehow finds a way to make these two contrasting tracks fit together perfectly.

If the record contains a flaw, it would be that it tries to do too much at times.There is such a large collection of sounds and genres being used together. There's never a point when the record seems weighed down with filler, but the edge of its finely tuned production is dull with so many different elements trying to compete as the most important.

Like an overly sweet treat, Until the Quiet Comes can be overwhelming at times in how lush and rich all of the different elements are.

Even so, this is a record that demands to be devoured for breakfast, lunch and dinner - stomach ache be darned.