To Play or Not to Play?

With a week left in the NBA regular season, there are a number of Finals contenders that have question marks written all over their injury-rattled rosters.

The success of the Bulls, Lakers, and Knicks as of late have a lot of people scratching their heads over the question that no one wants to ask: "Are these teams really better without their star players?"

For the Bulls and Lakers, I believe the answer to this question is no.

The Lakers are currently 4-1 coming into Tuesday without five-time champion Kobe Bryant in their lineup due to a persistent shin injury. It can be assumed that the Lakers are holding him out for precautionary reasons, as they have already sealed their spot in the playoffs, but you can't help but notice the accomplishments of the team amid his absence.

Center Andrew Bynum's surge into NBA stardom is giving controversial ESPN analyst Skip Bayless bragging rights after once being quoted that Bynum was the best center in the NBA, over the Magic's Dwight Howard.

Regardless of Bynum's dominance and the lift of role players like Metta World Peace and Matt Barnes, who are mere spectators to Kobe's fourth-quarter obsessive shot taking, the Lakers need Bryant back in the lineup. Without Kobe they lack the ever-important necessity of a shot-making guard in crunch time. As long as Bryant can find a way to score his 30 points a game and keep Bynum's productivity elevated, his presence is a necessity if LA wants to have any chance at winning its third title in four years.

As for the Bulls, it's not proven whether they are better or worse without superstar point guard Derrick Rose. They have been winning all season with and without him. But after his 1-13 shooting performance against the Heat last week, and C.J. Watson's clutch fourth-quarter showing, it has people questioning the effect Rose's comeback will have on the Eastern Conference's likely No. 1 seed.

The argument here is similar as that for the Lakers: they need a shot maker to close games. As surprising as C.J. Watson and John Lucas have been for Chicago this season, the Bulls aren't going to be able to defeat the Heat in a seven-game series with those two at the helm of the offense.

It is crucial for the Bulls' success that in these last few games of the season, Rose can play more than two games in a row - and more importantly regain his consistency scoring the basketball.

Now we are left with New York State's very own, the Knicks. The Knicks are 7-4 since Amare Stoudemire's departure due to a back injury and superstar Carmelo Anthony has finally found his groove. Melo is averaging 33 points and shooting 50 percent from the field since he took over as the lone superstar for the Knicks. But Tuesday's report by Sporting News, whichindicates that Stoudemire may be able to return by the end of the week, has some people concerned that his return will disrupt the current flow of the offense.

Since Melo and Stoudemire teamed up they have had trouble finding success when on the court together. In fact it seems the Knicks only produce wins when one or the other isn't on the floor. The ball movement when both perennial scorers share the court is more than stagnant and, in my opinion, it is clear that one needs to be traded in the future. I think it should be Stoudemire.

Melo is a once-in-a-lifetime scorer, and Amare could easily be replaced by another forward who wants to contribute more on the defensive end of the court. If the Knicks continue to surround Anthony with key role players like Tyson Chandler and Iman Shumpert, this team's long-awaited success will shortly come true.

Assuming all three of these players - Bryant, Rose, and Stoudemire - return for the playoffs, I only expect the Bulls and Lakers (not the Knicks) to be championship contenders. The Bulls have done more than prove themselves over the last two years, and who can count out Kobe Bryant late in games? A Lakers-Thunder and Heat-Bulls Conference Finals would be a dream scenario for the NBA and chances are, these teams will deliver.

Email: jdgagnon@buffalo.edu